Tactical search

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, bob, hgm

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Post Reply
Cardoso
Posts: 316
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:39 pm
Location: Portugal
Full name: Alvaro Cardoso
Contact:

Tactical search

Post by Cardoso » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:45 pm

Hi,
I'm thinking adding one or more threads dedicated to a tactical search.
Probably I will also add another thread for mate search but this is another issue.
What are the main ideas to take into consideration when implementing a tactical mode?

thanks,
Alvaro

Dann Corbit
Posts: 11627
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Redmond, WA USA
Contact:

Re: Tactical search

Post by Dann Corbit » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:21 pm

Cardoso wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:45 pm
Hi,
I'm thinking adding one or more threads dedicated to a tactical search.
Probably I will also add another thread for mate search but this is another issue.
What are the main ideas to take into consideration when implementing a tactical mode?
Houdini did something very much like your idea.
I suggest you might want to look at the repository found listed in the fishcooking forum.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5694
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Tactical search

Post by Rebel » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:31 pm

Cardoso wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:45 pm
Hi,
I'm thinking adding one or more threads dedicated to a tactical search.
Probably I will also add another thread for mate search but this is another issue.
What are the main ideas to take into consideration when implementing a tactical mode?

thanks,
Alvaro
Out of pure curisoity I once at the end of eval replaced the score with the incremental PST value (thus counting wood mainly) and noticed the search came 1.5 - 2 ply deeper. Doing that at the beginning increased the NPS.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

Cardoso
Posts: 316
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:39 pm
Location: Portugal
Full name: Alvaro Cardoso
Contact:

Re: Tactical search

Post by Cardoso » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:33 am

Rebel wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:31 pm
Cardoso wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:45 pm
Hi,
I'm thinking adding one or more threads dedicated to a tactical search.
Probably I will also add another thread for mate search but this is another issue.
What are the main ideas to take into consideration when implementing a tactical mode?

thanks,
Alvaro
Out of pure curisoity I once at the end of eval replaced the score with the incremental PST value (thus counting wood mainly) and noticed the search came 1.5 - 2 ply deeper. Doing that at the beginning increased the NPS.
Aside the NPS increase, probably is a similar effect to the code below from Stockfish evaluation function that forces evaluation values being multiples of 16 (grain size).

Code: Select all

// Evaluation grain
    v = (v / 16) * 16;

Post Reply