Best age for chess programming?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

10-20
50%
20-30
No votes
30-40
No votes
50-60
50%
60+
No votes

Total votes: 2

smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

Getting older I realise the advantage of programming experience versus the vitality of the youth.

But what do you think, in what age are computer chess programmers at their peak?

--
Srdja

PS: it seems polls on this site are broken, maybe an admin can take a look at it?
Jouni

Re: Best age for chess programming?

Post by Jouni »

In Komodo team Larry is 70+ and Mark 60+ I think :!: :) . But probably same as here: It is a general truism in mathematics that mathematicians do their best work in their 20s and 30s.
Jouni
Henk

Post by Henk »

I heard a story that some experienced programmers can be 10-20 times more productive than less experienced ones.
JVMerlino

Post by JVMerlino »

Too young to know better.... :D
abulmo2
Full name: Richard Delorme

Post by abulmo2 »

Richard Delorme
jorose
Full name: Jonathan Rosenthal

Post by jorose »

Somehow the poll isn't taking my vote, but in my opinion best age for chess programming according to your options is definitely 60+ on your scale, but I am not sure what is second. Main reasons being that after you retire you can spend as much time on it as you'd like and after you retire I also think you should spend time keeping your mind active.
Statistically speaking I am sure there are not too many 60+ year olds that know how to program, but that is a separate point and completely generation dependent, I imagine 60 years from now most in that age bracket will have basic coding knowledge.
In terms of being able to make a competitive program assuming no real life obligations or constraints, perhaps 30-40 is a good range. Enough time to be an experienced programmer but young enough to have the energy and not taken too much damage from good wine.
In terms of statistically being likely to make a top program in 2019? I don't know, again I imagine most people up to 50 are constrained heavily by time they could spend on such a project, while those in the 50+ range didn't (normally) grow up with computers.
-Jonathan
jp

Post by jp »

jorose wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:09 am Enough time to be an experienced programmer but young enough to have the energy and not taken too much damage from good wine.
Do you really think the "good wine" has a negative effect, or is it just the effect of getting older? (Do you have N=1 experience to draw upon?)
jorose
Full name: Jonathan Rosenthal

Post by jorose »

jp wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:25 am
jorose wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:09 am Enough time to be an experienced programmer but young enough to have the energy and not taken too much damage from good wine.
Do you really think the "good wine" has a negative effect, or is it just the effect of getting older? (Do you have N=1 experience to draw upon?)
Actually I have N=0 experience, more going on what older people tell me, which generally has more to do with age in general.
I am moderately curious what actual research says as I am not so sure this is actually true in general and not just what people anecdotally experience.
My formulation was intended to be a bit humorous and not intended to mean any decline can be connected to alcohol. That being said I wouldn't bet on alcohol being beneficial or even neutral for your health.
-Jonathan
jp

Post by jp »

jorose wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:22 am I am moderately curious what actual research says as I am not so sure this is actually true in general and not just what people anecdotally experience.
My formulation was intended to be a bit humorous and not intended to mean any decline can be connected to alcohol. That being said I wouldn't bet on alcohol being beneficial or even neutral for your health.
Yes, I definitely read your comment as humorous. I used it as an excuse of sorts to ask because, as you put it, "I am moderately curious" about these things. I think age probably does affect calculational speed and short-term memory. I don't know if alcohol does too. Quite possibly, I'd guess.
Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Post by Chessqueen »

Jouni wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:24 pm In Komodo team Larry is 70+ and Mark 60+ I think :!: :) . But probably same as here: It is a general truism in mathematics that mathematicians do their best work in their 20s and 30s.
It all depends, some programmers knows different programming languages, but are not as good as those that concentrate on just one or two languages.
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll: