Some x64 assembler for the curious

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MikeB

Re: Some x64 assembler for the curious

Post by MikeB »

Michael Sherwin wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:10 am
odomobo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:34 pm The nature of your learning disability eludes me a little bit. Your code seems pretty sophisticated, which is not what I would have expected with a learning disability. It's a personal issue, so I understand if you don't want to talk about it, but I am curious to understand it further.
Just because someone has a learning disability does not mean that they are not intelligent. My disability is because I was born 6 weeks premature and was a "blue baby". They did not even expect me to live. So I must have suffered some minor brain damage at birth. Anyway because of that whatever that was exactly my memory is very selective. Some things I remember very well. Some things I cannot remember at all. Things that are infused with a lot of meaning I remember very well because I remember, for lack of a better word, motifs. I remember the "gist" of things. For example I can remember lyrics to songs that make sense. That tell a clear and meaningful story. I cannot even remember two words to a song that is just made up of meaningless but good sounding words. And that is no matter how many times I try. I once tried to learn Dutch. I carried a sentence around with me on a piece of paper for at least a month. I was hoping that if I read it enough times that I'd remember the words and the meaning. I lost the paper and I had no recollection of any of the words. The problem was that looking at the words in Dutch had no meaning to me. I am a good chess player. My record against various SF versions at long time limits is 4 losses and 4 draws. At knight odds my record is two draws and a win. But I can't remember opening lines no matter how many times I go over them. So with programming it is like learning a foreign language. As long as I have the "piece of paper" in front of me (the C primer or some sample code) I can make it happen but it takes me 10 times longer or more to accomplish anything. I have to go over my code numerous times just to get into my awareness what it is I'm trying to do long enough to get the next thing done. And even with my learning disability I was able to author RomiChess but it took me over 20 years of on again off again effort. Hopefully I have retained enough understanding so that this time it won't take that long! :D
+1,000,000 Quite a personal and inspirational testimony for perseverance. I can see clearly why you survived at birth, you are a fighter that simply does not give up.
Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Re: Some x64 assembler for the curious

Post by Michael Sherwin »

MikeB wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:08 am
Michael Sherwin wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:10 am
odomobo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:34 pm The nature of your learning disability eludes me a little bit. Your code seems pretty sophisticated, which is not what I would have expected with a learning disability. It's a personal issue, so I understand if you don't want to talk about it, but I am curious to understand it further.
Just because someone has a learning disability does not mean that they are not intelligent. My disability is because I was born 6 weeks premature and was a "blue baby". They did not even expect me to live. So I must have suffered some minor brain damage at birth. Anyway because of that whatever that was exactly my memory is very selective. Some things I remember very well. Some things I cannot remember at all. Things that are infused with a lot of meaning I remember very well because I remember, for lack of a better word, motifs. I remember the "gist" of things. For example I can remember lyrics to songs that make sense. That tell a clear and meaningful story. I cannot even remember two words to a song that is just made up of meaningless but good sounding words. And that is no matter how many times I try. I once tried to learn Dutch. I carried a sentence around with me on a piece of paper for at least a month. I was hoping that if I read it enough times that I'd remember the words and the meaning. I lost the paper and I had no recollection of any of the words. The problem was that looking at the words in Dutch had no meaning to me. I am a good chess player. My record against various SF versions at long time limits is 4 losses and 4 draws. At knight odds my record is two draws and a win. But I can't remember opening lines no matter how many times I go over them. So with programming it is like learning a foreign language. As long as I have the "piece of paper" in front of me (the C primer or some sample code) I can make it happen but it takes me 10 times longer or more to accomplish anything. I have to go over my code numerous times just to get into my awareness what it is I'm trying to do long enough to get the next thing done. And even with my learning disability I was able to author RomiChess but it took me over 20 years of on again off again effort. Hopefully I have retained enough understanding so that this time it won't take that long! :D
+1,000,000 Quite a personal and inspirational testimony for perseverance. I can see clearly why you survived at birth, you are a fighter that simply does not give up.
Thank you. I'm not an emotional person but that brought a tear to my eye. I was also born with a hole in my heart. I was not supposed to make it past 40. But I am still here. But time is not on my side. I always said I'm like a dog pulling on a towel. You can threaten to hang me out a window and I will not let go, lol.
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through