Eschecs, a simple GUI written in Pascal

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Roland Chastain
Full name: Roland Chastain

Eschecs 5.0.1 released

Post by Roland Chastain »

Hello! Eschecs 5.0.1 is available.

Czech language. Thanks to Martin Sedlak.
New pictures (90x90, 100x100).
Fixed bug of application crashing when a piece was dropped out of the window.
Qui trop embrasse mal étreint.
Kohflote

Re: Eschecs, a simple GUI written in Pascal

Post by Kohflote »

Dear Sir,

Do you have a 64-bit version for windows 10?

Thank you & regards,
Koh, Kah Huat
Roland Chastain

Kohflote wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:37 am Dear Sir,

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your message. There are little bugs in the GUI when compiled for Win64 (bugs coming from one of the libraries used by the application). That's why I didn't make a release for Win64.

If I may ask, why is it important for you? I tested myself the application under Windows 10, on a 64 bit computer, and I didn't noticed any problem.

Best regards.

Roland
Kohflote

Post by Kohflote »

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your prompt reply. As all my apps are running on windows 10, 64-bits, I just wonder whether yours has a 64-bit, that's all 😊

Best regards,
Koh, Kah Huat
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Re: Eschecs 5.0.1 released

Post by mar »

Roland Chastain wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:38 am Hello! Eschecs 5.0.1 is available.
Thanks, I missed the release it seems.
Playing against Moustique is ideal for me, it lets me build up an advantage and then I blunder the win away to ultimately blunder the draw and lose.
I'm a very lousy player :)
(Alouette seems a bit weak for me)

100px pieces are also perfect for me now, Eschecs is really ideal for casual play against engines, no clutter.

One final request if I may: would it be possible to add a small opening book for the engines?
I assume Moustique doesn't have its own book.
Martin Sedlak
Roland Chastain

mar wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:37 pm Playing against Moustique is ideal for me, it lets me build up an advantage and then I blunder the win away to ultimately blunder the draw and lose.
I'm a very lousy player :)
Same experience for me. :)
mar wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:37 pm (Alouette seems a bit weak for me)
Alouette is a program that I wrote to understand bitboards. It works but it is indeed very weak.
mar wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:37 pm 100px pieces are also perfect for me now, Eschecs is really ideal for casual play against engines, no clutter.

One final request if I may: would it be possible to add a small opening book for the engines?
I assume Moustique doesn't have its own book.
Glad that you like the application. All your requests are welcome. An opening book is a good idea. I will see what I can do. I will see if I can find a book and write the code to read it. Something not too complicated...

I have some code to use ProDeo book as dynamic library, but I have only binary for Windows. I never tried to compile the C code of the library by myself.
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

Roland Chastain wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:38 am Fixed bug of application crashing when a piece was dropped out of the window.
Hmm, I got another access violation when I mistakenly dropped a piece at the border of the chessboard while capturing (in a completely winning position against Moustique :)

steps to reproduce: grab a piece and drop it at the edge of the board (D letter). then move anywhere inside the board and click.
Access violation appears and Eschecs then freezes
Martin Sedlak
Roland Chastain

mar wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:15 pm Hmm, I got another access violation when I mistakenly dropped a piece at the border of the chessboard while capturing (in a completely winning position against Moustique :)

steps to reproduce: grab a piece and drop it at the edge of the board (D letter). then move anywhere inside the board and click.
Access violation appears and Eschecs then freezes
Thank you for reporting that issue. I will try to understand what happens and to fix it.

By the way, I am currently trying to write Pascal code to use ProDeo book.
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

Roland Chastain wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:51 am
Kohflote wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:37 am Dear Sir,

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your message. There are little bugs in the GUI when compiled for Win64 (bugs coming from one of the libraries used by the application). That's why I didn't make a release for Win64.

If I may ask, why is it important for you? I tested myself the application under Windows 10, on a 64 bit computer, and I didn't noticed any problem.

Best regards.

Roland
Any plans for engine matches/tourneys....various boards and pieces and opening books? my version is in a grey/dark grey color...Thx AR :) :wink:
Roland Chastain

supersharp77 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:32 pm Any plans for engine matches/tourneys....various boards and pieces and opening books?
Thank you for your message. I am currently trying to include a book. For various boards and pieces, please see the application named Options. There are also screenshots here.