On-line engine blitz tourney June

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

On-line engine blitz tourney June

Post by hgm »

The monthly on-line engine blitz tourney for June will take place on:

Saturday June 23, 3pm Boston time (21:00 Amsterdam time)

To connect:

winboard -zp -ics -icshost winboard.nl -icshelper timeseal -fcp ENGINE.exe -fd ENGINEFOLDER -autoKibitz

(for UCI engines, add -fUCI)
tomitank

Re: On-line engine blitz tourney June

Post by tomitank »

Hy,

I have a suggestion:
If nobody would use the opening book, the game would be fairer.

What do you think?

-Tamás
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

How would that be fairer than everyone using an opening book?
Henk

Post by Henk »

Beware there are windows updates. Took me one day to recover.

Microsoft should have fired all their employees for they are unable to create a final product within 25 years.

Never seen any useful extra features except from slowing down my computer.

Visual studio 2017 also assumes you have a very fast computer. And ASP.Net core is full of bugs and missing features compared to .NET framework. Although its a good thing to not support extra features but then they should not have users getting used to them.

Looks like new generation performs like Dutch soccer team.

Or maybe I have downloaded a virus that my virusscanner can not detect and slows down my computer. Also I have many background processes that I can't delete. Don't know what they are for. Restarting computer does not help for they are created when computer starts up.

No links please I don't trust them so they are useless for me.

When computer is slow this reminds me of the eighties. Looks like no progress since then. Yes Internet with all kinds of nonsense information.
Greg Strong

Post by Greg Strong »

Agreed that Windows has been running backwards since Windows 7. I've abandoned Microsoft in response to this fiasco and I used to be the biggest Microsoft fanboy I knew. I've switched to Linux Mint for my primary machine. I still have a couple Windows 7 boxes, but they will never be upgraded. When Win7 reaches EOL in a couple years, that will be that.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Again system is telling me that are new updates. Probably last update failed.

They don't understand that I don't want to be bothered with these updates blocking my computer for days.
Are there no some kind of (police) agents warning customers about using bad windows versions.

Probably I'm scammed by salesman in computershop when I bought this computer.

Getting paranoid.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

In the early 90s I used to be an ABM person - "anything but Microsoft". One of the harshest critics you could ever find. In fact I ran various flavours of OS/2 back then. And Linux at various times. But after the DOJ action against Microsoft they became a different company, and then with XP they suddenly had a very good product. So in a complete reversal I became a Microsoft fan, and still am to this day, except that I'm stunned by their complete failure in the mobile market, and the questionable acquisitions of linkedIn and GitHub. However their core O/S continues to go from strength to strength, Windows 7 excellent and Window 10 just superb, and being developed further at a rapid pace.

Yes a long time ago I did play in these tournaments in the past under Linux and XBoard, but that is literally all I used Linux for, so got rid of it and from that point played with Windows and Winboard. It make sense for me.

Which reminds me, I should be at home around the time of this tournament, so perhaps I'll think about what engine I could run and ask HG for an account.
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

Henk wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:27 pm Again system is telling me that are new updates. Probably last update failed.

They don't understand that I don't want to be bothered with these updates blocking my computer for days.
Are there no some kind of (police) agents warning customers about using bad windows versions.

Probably I'm scammed by salesman in computershop when I bought this computer.

Getting paranoid.
Indeed... sometimes Windows 10 is making me crazy, instead of fixing all these annoying bugs they keep on adding all kinds of nonsense.
A few weeks ago I also had an update that didn't want to install, instead of skipping this update Windows kept on downloading these gigabytes over and over again, since this is an unattended system it took a few days before I noticed it.

Last week I was running a lenghty job which took several days, and suddenly Windows decided to install something and reboot despite I have automatic updates turned off, the latest versions of Windows 10 seem to find updates more important than the jobs you are running.

Windows server 2016 is much cleaner and doesn't force updates on you, but for the many systems I have it is too expensive to buy licences, in a way Microsoft forces you to switch over to Linux. The reason that I'm still using Windows is Visual Studio, this is something that Linux lacks, I see you always complaining about it, maybe for C#, clr and .NET it is problematic, I don't know, but for C++ development it works like a charm.
Greg Strong

Post by Greg Strong »

Joost Buijs wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:05 pm The reason that I'm still using Windows is Visual Studio, this is something that Linux lacks, I see you always complaining about it, maybe for C#, clr and .NET it is problematic, I don't know, but for C++ development it works like a charm.
Visual Studio is amazing! It's the one program that I miss on Linux and will still switch to Windows for. And it's fine for C# and .NET too. On Linux, MonoDevelop is OK for C# although it doesn't have the graphical designer for Windows Forms apps. Code::Blocks is pretty nice for C++, although there are other good options for C++ also. Visual Studio Code is pretty nice and that runs on Linux.
Last edited by Greg Strong on Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xr_a_y

Post by xr_a_y »

Visual Studio is amazing! It's the one program that I miss on Linux and will still switch to Windows for.
Me too, but QtCreator with some clang/LLMV based plugins is quite amazing too...