"combo" type reset to default value in Arena GUI

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

tomitank

Re: "combo" type reset to default value in Arena GUI

Post by tomitank »

hgm wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:09 pm Well, that is not really new. ChestUCI also has a non-standard option for settinh the hash size. (I believe it is called HashSize.)

But you should not give it the same name as the standard option (i.e. 'Hash'). That would be non-compliant, and likely confuse GUIs. And of course it would then ignore the common setting, which most people would consider 'broken' behavior.
I do not understand the following:
If I set (centrally ) the hash size with the "Hash" command, then the following line is completely unnecessary. or? (Therefore it is not visible.)

option name Hash type spin default 32 min 4 max 256

That's why I used the following:
option name Hash (MB) type combo default 32 var 32 var 64 var 128 var 256
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

No, that line is obligatory, if the engine uses significant memory space for tables. If you omit that line, the GUI will assume the engine doesn't support a hash table, and will not inform the engine of the amount of memory it can (maximally) use.
tomitank

Post by tomitank »

hgm wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:40 pm No, that line is obligatory, if the engine uses significant memory space for tables. If you omit that line, the GUI will assume the engine doesn't support a hash table, and will not inform the engine of the amount of memory it can (maximally) use.
I understand now!

Thank You HGM!