texel tuning

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

RubiChess
Full name: Andreas Matthies

Re: texel tuning

Post by RubiChess »

I reuse this thread for another Question related to Texel-Tuning:

Suppose I have introduced a new evaluation feature and want to tune its parameters.
Now the question: Is it important that at least one or even both engines that are used to generate the game data used for tuning do support this new feature? I could imagine that if both engines don't know about this evaluation feature they simply cannot expose its value and tuning will fail.

- Andreas
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Re: texel tuning

Post by Sven »

RubiChess wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:40 pm I reuse this thread for another Question related to Texel-Tuning:

Suppose I have introduced a new evaluation feature and want to tune its parameters.
Now the question: Is it important that at least one or even both engines that are used to generate the game data used for tuning do support this new feature? I could imagine that if both engines don't know about this evaluation feature they simply cannot expose its value and tuning will fail.

- Andreas
I think it is not important. More relevant is that the set of positions that you use for tuning sufficiently covers those cases that you address with your new feature. E.g. if you introduce, say, detection of a rook trapped by bishop and pawn near a corner in late endgame but you mostly use middlegame positions then tuning will not help much.
Sven Schüle (engine author: Jumbo, KnockOut, Surprise)