On-line engine blitz tourney May

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Robert Pope

Re: On-line engine blitz tourney May

Post by Robert Pope »

hgm wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 4:42 pm Not sure what you mean by 'configuring an environment'. The announcing posting mentions the command necessary to connect; if you type that command at the command prompt while in the WinBoard folder (with the appropriate engine name) it should be sufficient. After starting WinBoard you can control the engine settings from the WinBoard menus once, just like in any GUI. This should mostly be self-evident.

The more tricky thing is that, once connected an logged in (by typing username an password as the ICS prompts you for those), you also have to operate the ICS. But the tourney in principle is automatic, all you have to do after mamer announces that the tourney is 'open', is type

mam join 1

(assuming the tourney number is 1, as it usually is). Apart from mishaps like disconnections, everything else would be automatic.
I think he means:
1. How to get a login/password for a new participant
2. The connection command (already in 1st post)
3. How to join the tournament (mam join 1)
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Robert Pope wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:54 pm I think he means:
Well, as to (1) the aswer is probably "read your PMs", because the message where explained him that is still in my 'Outbox'...
Robert Pope

Post by Robert Pope »

hgm wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 6:43 pm
Robert Pope wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:54 pm I think he means:
Well, as to (1) the aswer is probably "read your PMs", because the message where explained him that is still in my 'Outbox'...
Sure, but in general, when somebody new wants to join, they have to make a "hey, how do I get an account" post and wait for a response. It might be helpful to add a sentence about new accounts to the first post, like you do with the connection string.
pkumar

Post by pkumar »

@MOBMAT and others

Hi all,
Since I invariably forget everything, I made a manual for myself. The information is mostly from forum posts, mainly by HGM. I hope experienced tournament participants will suggest additions/corrections.

1. Get an account (pm to HGM).

2. Start WinBoard. Create a saved games folder by WinBoard>Option>Save Games. Tick 'Save games automatically', 'To
file' (enter filename/path), 'Save as PGN', 'Save out of book info in PGN'. Use a separate filename for each
tournament as these games are sometimes posted.

3. Set book options in WinBoard>Options>Common Engine. These settings are not saved in WinBoard 4.80, so set every
time WinBoard is started if not using defaults.

4. Add ICS server by WinBoard>Options>Add ICS . In Edit Tags box add HGM's tournament server at the top of the
list (use Ctrl v to paste). As of now the line to be added is:

winboard -zp -ics -icshost winboard.nl -icshelper timeseal -fcp ENGINE.exe -fd ENGINEFOLDER -autoKibitz . For UCI
engines, add -fUCI.

Edit ENGINE/ENGINEFOLDER and save.

5. Restart WinBoard with 'Use an Internet Chess Server'.

6. Enter username and password in the ICS dialogue box. Check your presence by 'who'.

7. When tournament is announced enter 'mam join N'. N is tournament number, usually 1. Check with 'mam lp N'.

8. The tournament will usually proceed smoothly. But disconnections do happen at times and WinBoard disappears.

9. in case of disconnection restart WinBoard in ICS mode and sign in again. Enter book options again if not using
default settings. If reconnected early enough the tournament proceeds as usual.

10. You don't have to rejoin, disconnecting does not automatically remove you from a tourney. When you are disconnected during a game, that game is adjourned, and you can resume it through the command 'match OPPONENTNAME'. After a longer disconnect you should only do this after verifying that the game wasn't already forfeited and a next round has already started. If you missed the automatic start of a round, you have to be more careful, and fully specify the game (i.e. TC and color in addition to the opponent). First you do 'mam games N' to check what game you should have been playing. Then you start that game by 'match OPPONENTNAME 5 1 r COLOR', where COLOR is w or b depending on the color you should have ("5 1" stands for 5'/1").

If needed talk to HGM(admin) in the chat window.

Enjoy the next tourney
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Post by Sven »

A very good summary. One addition from me:

11. Better do not observe other games while your own engine's game is running 8-) Otherwise your game will not continue as expected.
Sven Schüle (engine author: Jumbo, KnockOut, Surprise)