Good books for self testing?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Re: Good books for self testing?

Post by Dann Corbit »

Albert Silver wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:20 pm Here is a large suite, all handpicked, and all real openings, with none of that random 3-move nonsense. Every opening under the sun.
Here are the distinct book exit points, in EPD format:
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Greg Strong

Post by Greg Strong »

Wow - that is a nice book. Very ambitious! I've been using lines from the Silver Suites for probably a decade now, but your book was no where near this large when I raided it. (Or else I overlooked the large version.)

It was asked how long the lines in this book are so I whipped up a quick graph:

Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Greg Strong wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:54 pm Wow - that is a nice book. Very ambitious! I've been using lines from the Silver Suites for probably a decade now, but your book was no where near this large when I raided it. (Or else I overlooked the large version.)

It was asked how long the lines in this book are so I whipped up a quick graph:

Fascinating graph! The longer lines are easy to guess though: Closed Ruy and Marhsall, which all more or less start on move 9 with 9.h3. 18th ply starts the main variations such as Breyer (9...Nb8), Chigorin (9...Na5), etc. and of course some lines of the Classical KID, which are also defined quite late.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
jp

Post by jp »

Wow, Albert, Greg, Dann, great info!