Licesning, including MIT work under GNU GPL3

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Licesning, including MIT work under GNU GPL3

Post by AndrewGrant »

Ethereal is licensed under GNU GPL3, and I would like to add Fathom's source, (rather, Jon Dart's fork of it)

I've made (slight) modifications to the Fathom files, but I've not changed any of the copyright / license headers on the source files.

Fathom is licensed under MIT Permissive. It appears to me that by following GNU GPL3, I am obeying the MIT license.

Ethereal with the Fathom TB code will all be open source, as Ethereal has always been.

Just looking for someone with a little more knowledge to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong here.

Thanks, Andrew Grant
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
velmarin

Re: Licesning, including MIT work under GNU GPL3

Post by velmarin »

If you had chosen the original Syzygy code you wouldn't have asked yourself that question.
Original Ronald de Man code is license free total,
However, fathom code has that dubious stumbling block to the license, in my opinion totally illegal, due to four modifications
AndrewGrant

Post by AndrewGrant »

Well then this question should be defferd to Ronald.

If they code is license free by Ronald, why can Fathom not put a license on it? Modifications are extensive...
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
Greg Strong

Post by Greg Strong »

Setting aside any specifics of Fathom...

In the general case, yes, I believe you can use MIT code inside a GPL project since MIT is less restrictive. The key is that the MIT license must not stipulate any additional requirements beyond those of the GPL.
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

AndrewGrant wrote:Well then this question should be defferd to Ronald.

If they code is license free by Ronald, why can Fathom not put a license on it? Modifications are extensive...
Yes, they can.

According to this page the term "MIT License" is used at least for the "X11 License" and for the "Expat License". Both are compatible with the "GNU GPL", which is not further specified so presumably covers both GPLv2 and GPLv3.
AndrewGrant

Post by AndrewGrant »

Thank you for clarifying, Ronald.

Also, thank you for your work with Syzygy. I took at stab and implementing Syzygy without Fathom, and using your Cfish as a template I nearly got it.
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

AndrewGrant wrote:Just looking for someone with a little more knowledge to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong here.
The FSF lists the MIT licence as GPL compatible:
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#Expat
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-li ... X11License

You can of course also modify the "external" files, but you cannot change their licence - only their author(s) can do that. If you change something in these files, you can add your copyright for your modifications to them, and you should add a comment describing your changes.

You should already have an AUTHORS file or something like that, and you should add the author(s) of the external files along with a description what part of the project is by them, and under which licence. That way, you can ensure proper attribution.