Need help to solve TLCV broadcast connection problem

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Re: Need help to solve TLCV broadcast connection problem

Post by Ras »

Sven wrote:Would be interesting for me to see whether it works in your IPv4-only config.
Yes, works correctly, I can see a game going on. I didn't even change anything in my router, so I guess the NAT in the router is clever enough to guess which PC the packets should go to, especially since there's only one active in my network right now.
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Post by Sven »

Ras wrote:
Sven wrote:Would be interesting for me to see whether it works in your IPv4-only config.
Yes, works correctly, I can see a game going on. I didn't even change anything in my router, so I guess the NAT in the router is clever enough to guess which PC the packets should go to, especially since there's only one active in my network right now.
Thanks for your help, good to know.

So I am still at zero: it's only me, and I have no clue why, except that there is *something* that does not like me :evil:
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

Sven wrote:I have a new theory. It may be related to IPv6. My FritzBox appears not to have a public IPv4 address anymore, it is using something called "DS Lite Tunnel". I am not familiar with it but it may be the explanation why releasing those ports does not help at all.
DS Lite, I've heard that before.
See here (last post):
https://github.com/kmar/livius/issues/5
Rebel
Full name: Ed Schröder

Post by Rebel »

Sven wrote:
Ras wrote:
Thanks for your help, good to know.

So I am still at zero: it's only me, and I have no clue why, except that there is *something* that does not like me :evil:
Some 5-6 months ago I had a similar problem, my network media player suddenly couldn't make connection with my PC any longer. And I could not solve it. Not before I remembered that it happened around the time there was a Windows update. And that was strange because I don't allow Windows updates. Long story short, that (unasked) Windows update blocked my media player in the Firewall.

I forgot how I fixed it, either by modifying the Firewall or I did Windows system restore point (not sure if that is the right Dutch-English translation) but it solved the problem.

Just checked TLCV, works lile a charm from here.
Sven

Post by Sven »

mar wrote:
Sven wrote:I have a new theory. It may be related to IPv6. My FritzBox appears not to have a public IPv4 address anymore, it is using something called "DS Lite Tunnel". I am not familiar with it but it may be the explanation why releasing those ports does not help at all.
See here (last post):
Ok. Now I think I'm very close to understanding what's going on. My provider (1&1, quite common in Germany) has recently changed my internet account - maybe on or short before 15-oct-2017 - from a real DualStack account to a DS Lite account. The former means that I get two public IP addresses, one for IPv6 and one for IPv4, while with the latter I only get a public IPv6 address and share an IPv4 address with many other customers. IPv4 access is provided through a tunnel (DS Lite tunnel). But that tunnel only works for outgoing connections and that seems to be the reason why I do not get any response from Graham's server (which is presumably behind an IPv4 connection), even if I grant access to all necessary ports via UDP in my router. "Disabling DS Lite" in my router seems to be useless as long as my account is still DS Lite.

I have read about solutions like "relay servers" but I'm not sure whether they would help me out. So my current plan is to ask my provider to switch back my account to a real DualStack account.
Sven

Post by Sven »

Sven wrote:
mar wrote:
See here (last post):
Ok. Now I think I'm very close to understanding what's going on. My provider (1&1, quite common in Germany) has recently changed my internet account - maybe on or short before 15-oct-2017 - from a real DualStack account to a DS Lite account. The former means that I get two public IP addresses, one for IPv6 and one for IPv4, while with the latter I only get a public IPv6 address and share an IPv4 address with many other customers. IPv4 access is provided through a tunnel (DS Lite tunnel). But that tunnel only works for outgoing connections and that seems to be the reason why I do not get any response from Graham's server (which is presumably behind an IPv4 connection), even if I grant access to all necessary ports via UDP in my router. "Disabling DS Lite" in my router seems to be useless as long as my account is still DS Lite.

I have read about solutions like "relay servers" but I'm not sure whether they would help me out. So my current plan is to ask my provider to switch back my account to a real DualStack account.
Problem solved 8-)

Called my provider who switched off DS Lite already while I explained my problem on the phone, made a cold reset of my router, and there we go - got a normal DualStack connection with a real IPv4 address, TLCV connection working again :D :D :D

Thanks to everyone for your support and willingness to help me!