random evaluation perturbation factor

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Re: random evaluation perturbation factor

Post by Ras »

In my CT800 project, this feature is called "eval blurring", and the available options are "off" or "+/-10/30/50 centipawns".
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

D Sceviour wrote:By the 'Beal effect' are you referring to "Random Evaluations in Chess", Don F. Beal and Michael C. Smith, ICCA Journal [17(1):3-9], March 1994? Is a text available for that publication?
Yep, they demonstrated that root random (choosing a root move randomly) loses badly versus leaf random (random eval) the higher the search depth >= 1. To avoid favouring the leaf random look ahead approach due to mate scores, root random also applied a look ahead with the same search depth, but all leaves evaluated zero. Repetition and 50 move rule were ignored in the experiments. I don't have the paper and game scores actually handy, but will soon post a cpw page on that topic.
Maarten Claessens

Post by Maarten Claessens »

D Sceviour wrote:By the 'Beal effect' are you referring to "Random Evaluations in Chess", Don F. Beal and Michael C. Smith, ICCA Journal [17(1):3-9], March 1994? Is a text available for that publication?
The article is also published in "Advances in Computer Chess 7", H.J. van den Herik, I.S. Herschberg and J.W.H.M. Uiterwijk (1994).
Nothing is unstable (Lawrence Krauss)
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

A paper available online which refers the Beal/Smith paper:

Mark Levene, Trevor Fenner (2001). The Effect of Mobility on Minimaxing of Game Trees with Random Leaf Values. Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 130, No. 1

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/eb82/0 ... 1e5a2d.pdf
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Gerd Isenberg wrote:
Yep, they demonstrated that root random (choosing a root move randomly) loses badly versus leaf random (random eval) the higher the search depth >= 1. To avoid favouring the leaf random look ahead approach due to mate scores, root random also applied a look ahead with the same search depth, but all leaves evaluated zero. Repetition and 50 move rule were ignored in the experiments. I don't have the paper and game scores actually handy, but will soon post a cpw page on that topic.
https://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com ... eaf+Values
D Sceviour

Post by D Sceviour »

Thank you for posting the page. The links are very helpful.
Luis Babboni

Post by Luis Babboni »

That random adition will be valid only for equal score positions or could even be enough to make a position with higher score than other with no randon having, with random, a lower score position than that other?

(Sorry for my Hollywood-Apache like english).