On-line engine blitz tourney October

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

flok

Re: On-line engine blitz tourney October

Post by flok »

@hgm @henk maybe we can have an extra intermediate tournament for the people who missed Skipper?
Daniel Anulliero

Post by Daniel Anulliero »

flok wrote:@hgm @henk maybe we can have an extra intermediate tournament for the people who missed Skipper?
Ooh yes I'm all right !!! :lol:
zenpawn

Post by zenpawn »

flok wrote:@hgm @henk maybe we can have an extra intermediate tournament for the people who missed Skipper?
Two a month sounds good. :)
Daniel Anulliero

Post by Daniel Anulliero »

zenpawn wrote:
Every Saturday is better :)
cetormenter

Post by cetormenter »

Modern Times wrote:Not such a good tournament for Nirvana this time, I was lucky enough to get 7.5 out of 9 and second place last month :) I was going to run it again today, but I didn't get home in time and you ran it anyway.
Yes. The top of the tournament is very tight. Even a single loss can lose you first place (let alone two) and Texel always seems to have Nirvana's number. I suspect you probably have slightly more powerful hardware than I do. If you are interested I can give you my latest dev versions to run in the tournaments. I don't always remember to leave my computer on during the days the tournament is run.
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

Henk wrote:Yes I was expecting ten to fifteen minutes too with a maximum of thirty minutes when I restarted my computer at about 20:00 yesterday.

[Actually I didn't expect any updates at all.]

Might also be that Hewlett Packard had some helpful updates too.

Maybe it's too difficult for them to create a simpel and minimal operating system that works perfectly.
I agree that Windows 10 updates are a pain in the *ss, I once made the mistake to add myself to the 'fast ring' and a certain point I was getting 2 new builds in a day.
They don't adhere your settings as well, I clearly put in the settings that I only want to have updates installed between 0:00 and 1:00 AM but when my system is idle for some time it still starts updating outside of these hours.
And by idle I mean that the user is idle, when you have a job running they don't even look at it and install the update anyway.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

cetormenter wrote: Yes. The top of the tournament is very tight. Even a single loss can lose you first place (let alone two) and Texel always seems to have Nirvana's number. I suspect you probably have slightly more powerful hardware than I do. If you are interested I can give you my latest dev versions to run in the tournaments. I don't always remember to leave my computer on during the days the tournament is run.
My hardware is modest - AMD FX8350 8 threads. Texel is almost impossible to beat, but if I had a fast Intel 8 core or better, then I might be able to do it with Nirvana with a bit of luck. Books play a big part too.
petero2
Full name: Peter Osterlund

Post by petero2 »

Modern Times wrote:
cetormenter wrote: Yes. The top of the tournament is very tight. Even a single loss can lose you first place (let alone two) and Texel always seems to have Nirvana's number. I suspect you probably have slightly more powerful hardware than I do. If you are interested I can give you my latest dev versions to run in the tournaments. I don't always remember to leave my computer on during the days the tournament is run.
My hardware is modest - AMD FX8350 8 threads. Texel is almost impossible to beat, but if I had a fast Intel 8 core or better, then I might be able to do it with Nirvana with a bit of luck. Books play a big part too.
In the texel vs nirvana game nirvana was already down to 4 minutes when texel got out of book, which is a nice bonus for texel. When playing against an RB engine there is no such luck for texel since you seem to always use a strong book.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Yes I've tried a few books, some not so good, but the one I currently use seems to be fine.

It is both scary and exciting at the same time playing against the dual Xeons etc, and the variation in hardware adds to the excitement. Not being an author myself, I try and choose engines that are in the top half, and then enjoy the battle to see how well I can do. Hardware, software, book and a bit of luck all play a part. The 0.5 points below Texel last month was the best I could ever get, unlikely to happen again !
Daniel Mehrmann
Full name: Daniel Mehrmann

Post by Daniel Mehrmann »

zenpawn wrote:
+1 :D