Show thinking in Arena questions.

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Luis Babboni

Show thinking in Arena questions.

Post by Luis Babboni »

Some engines shows in Arena what I think is the "extended" depth reach in quiescence search using a bar"/", something like 8/14 that I guess means 8 plies completely searched and 6 more plies just for some branches.
But I do not see how to do it at least in Winboard, could be just an UCI posibilitie?
I remember old GUIs shows you the PV and at the same time actual search.
Is this possible in Arena?

Thanks!
yurikvelo

Re: Show thinking in Arena questions.

Post by yurikvelo »

Stockfish 160716 64 POPCNT by T. Romstad, M. Costalba, J. Kiiski, G. Linscott
go depth 2
info depth 1 seldepth 1 multipv 1 score cp 83 nodes 20 nps 20000 tbhits 0 time 1 pv e2e4
info depth 2 seldepth 2 multipv 1 score cp 86 nodes 52 nps 26000 tbhits 0 time 2 pv e2e4 b7b6
bestmove e2e4 ponder b7b6
info ... seldepth = selective depth
But I do not see how to do it at least in Winboard, could be just an UCI posibilitie?
discussed here
http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewt ... 1930[quote][/quote]
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

I don't think Arena shows selective depth of WB engines this way. They would probably be shown in the PV field. WinBoard would also only show it in a separate column, which you can open or close at will (for UCI or WB engines alike).

It is a rather meaningless statistic anyway.
Luis Babboni

Post by Luis Babboni »

Thanks Yuri and H.G.!

I need to see it mostly for debug.
Some time ago I made Soberango built a log for debug purpose but never solved the crashes this making of log causes.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

In WB protocol the PV field of thinking output is free-format text, so you could print any info in there, together with the PV. I would expect a GUI to display that. WinBoard would.

WB protocol defines a standard way for printing selective depth, tablebase hits and CPU load just before the PV (separated from it with a tab). Newer winboard versions would display infoprinted that way in seperate columns in the Engine Output window.
zd3nik

Post by zd3nik »

hgm wrote:I don't think Arena shows selective depth of WB engines this way. They would probably be shown in the PV field. WinBoard would also only show it in a separate column, which you can open or close at will (for UCI or WB engines alike).

It is a rather meaningless statistic anyway.
Most definitely not a meaningless value. At least not for engine developers while doing testing. I've done something stupid in quiescence search more times than I care to admit. Being able to see at a glance that selective search depth has jumped to some rediculously high values has saved me a lot of time on multiple occasions. Even being able to see anticipated seldepth changes is valuable.
flok

Post by flok »

zd3nik wrote:Most definitely not a meaningless value. At least not for engine developers while doing testing. I've done something stupid in quiescence search more times than I care to admit. Being able to see at a glance that selective search depth has jumped to some rediculously high values has saved me a lot of time on multiple occasions. Even being able to see anticipated seldepth changes is valuable.
Hmmm indeed.
Noticed that my program reaches a depth of 30:
info depth 9 seldepth 30 score cp 19 time 3404 nodes 416758 pv d2d4 e7e6 d1d3 b8c6 g1f3 g8f6 a2a4 f8d6

That can't be right, can it?
zd3nik

Post by zd3nik »

flok wrote:
zd3nik wrote:Most definitely not a meaningless value. At least not for engine developers while doing testing. I've done something stupid in quiescence search more times than I care to admit. Being able to see at a glance that selective search depth has jumped to some rediculously high values has saved me a lot of time on multiple occasions. Even being able to see anticipated seldepth changes is valuable.
Hmmm indeed.
Noticed that my program reaches a depth of 30:
info depth 9 seldepth 30 score cp 19 time 3404 nodes 416758 pv d2d4 e7e6 d1d3 b8c6 g1f3 g8f6 a2a4 f8d6

That can't be right, can it?
That seems pretty normal to me. In my engines I think it's safe to say seldepth is about 2 to 3 times the regular depth on average.