cutechess cli interactive viewer

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

elcabesa

cutechess cli interactive viewer

Post by elcabesa »

do you know if exist any tool to follow games played by cutechess cli on my pc?
I'm playing some slow games played by cutechess but I can't easily watch the game.
does it exist a program to runtime parse the debug output of cuteches?
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: cutechess cli interactive viewer

Post by hgm »

If you want to watch the games, why don't you simply play them in a GUI? These are designed for that...
elcabesa

Post by elcabesa »

I know, but usually I use cutechess cli and when a game is long it would be nice to understand how the games is going.
usually I open the log file and copy the position to a gui to watch it... but it's not smart at all
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

elcabesa wrote:do you know if exist any tool to follow games played by cutechess cli on my pc?
I'm playing some slow games played by cutechess but I can't easily watch the game.
does it exist a program to runtime parse the debug output of cuteches?
There's cutechess GUI, but it's extremely limited for now, and you can't do much with it. Development seems to have stopped many years ago.
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

lucasart wrote: There's cutechess GUI, but it's extremely limited for now, and you can't do much with it. Development seems to have stopped many years ago.
Development is restarted:

https://github.com/cutechess/cutechess/commits/master

and current state is more than enough to watch a game.

P.S: I really hope Ilari will not stop/slow down this time becuase chess comunity really needs a stable, consistent and well written GUI:
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

elcabesa wrote:I know, but usually I use cutechess cli and when a game is long it would be nice to understand how the games is going.
Well, so my point was sort of that you should not do that. I usually eat with a fork, but when I try that with soup it makes a real mess. I could of course ask for someone to invent a piece of silverware to catch all the liquid that is dripping through the fork, or suck it up from the table, but it would be much smarter to start eating it with a spoon.

If you want to keep open the opportunity to occasionally peek at the games, a command-line tool is just not the recommended choice.
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

mcostalba wrote:
lucasart wrote: There's cutechess GUI, but it's extremely limited for now, and you can't do much with it. Development seems to have stopped many years ago.

P.S: I really hope Ilari will not stop/slow down this time becuase chess comunity really needs a stable, consistent and well written GUI:
Hello Marco,

As I am aware of a couple of free guis that would, at first blush, meet that description above (I am unaware of the well-written part, since I am in no position to judge what that would look like codewise), could I ask you as an author of Stockfish, what such a gui would look like?

What tasks would it have to perform to meet that description of "stable, consistent and well written"?

Later.
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

Roger Brown wrote:
mcostalba wrote:

Hello Marco,

As I am aware of a couple of free guis that would, at first blush, meet that description above (I am unaware of the well-written part, since I am in no position to judge what that would look like codewise), could I ask you as an author of Stockfish, what such a gui would look like?

What tasks would it have to perform to meet that description of "stable, consistent and well written"?

Later.
Hello Roger,

no offence for other GUI: every author deserve credit considering that they put a lot of passion and free time in their GUI and give the result of their hard work for free to the comunity.

Ilari is a very good programmer (very possibly a professional one), I have read his source code and it is really a level above everything else here. So I am biased toward his work, but again, for the GUI user this means nothing, what is important is that the GUI does what user expects withouth hangs or bugs.

Best
Marco
ilari

Post by ilari »

Thanks for the kind words! I'll forward them to Arto, he's also made some great changes lately, like adding automated build and unit testing via Travis CI. CuteChess development has indeed picked up since last summer's hackathon, and the project is going forward at a good pace. The GUI only needs a few small features to be worthy of an official release.