Raspberry Pi 3 Model B: 64 bit quad core, US$35

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Joost Buijs

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B: 64 bit quad core, US$35

Post by Joost Buijs »

The RPI3 I ordered will be delivered today, unfortunately I cannot use it because (it seems) there is no 64 bit OS available for it yet.
This is really very stupid, it means I have to compile something myself (which probably takes a lot of time to get everything working) or I just have to be patient.
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

I read it was compatible with the raspberry pi2? Does the current arm compiled Ubuntu work?
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

Yesterday I downloaded Ubuntu core 14.04.4 for arm64, when I have some time for it (maybe this weekend) I will try to get it running.
WiFi and Bluetooth probably need extra drivers, but this is not so important for me anyway.
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

It is not going to be easy to make a 64 bit RPI image for the damn thing, to begin with I probably have to cross-compile a kernel for it.
As it seems now it is wiser to wait until somebody with more RPI experience has made a 64 bit bootable image for it.
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

Will be ordering one :) assuming they aren't sold out everywhere lol Still trying to get a $5 Pi Zero.

In other news my Parallella Epiphany board arrived today. Was surprised how small it is, on par with a Pi.
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

I've been looking into the Paralella board as well, the problem is that it is 32 bit, that makes it less suitable for a bitboard engine. And it is quite expensive compared to others.

I never received the Dragonboard 410C that I ordered from Arrow Electronics last year, there was a pre-authorisation on my credit-card for some time but it silently disappeared. At a certain point I got an email stating that there were problems with FCC regulations, that was the last thing I heard from it. Strange company this is.

The RPI3 is readily available, that's why I bought it. I think there are better options like the 'Odroid C2' or the 'Pine A64', but they are still pre-order.

If you really want to have a powerful ARM64 board there is the nVidia Jetson Tx1, the only drawback is that you need a big pocket for it. LOL
Last edited by Joost Buijs on Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

Joost Buijs wrote:I've been looking into the Paralella board as well,
Unless you're a gadget junkie I'd pass. I've loved it since it was on Kickstarter but looks like they are going broke and no longer making any. Was really hoping they'd license the IP to other big companies and see these nice epiphany chips being made into other devices.

Luckily i picked mine up used for less than 1/2 the cost of a new (reduced price) one.

Still a board the size of a Pi, with 1 decent ARM, 1 FPGA you can use, and 16 epiphany cores is a fun lil box to tinker with and very low power.
mvk

Post by mvk »

Joost Buijs wrote:The RPI3 I ordered will be delivered today, unfortunately I cannot use it because (it seems) there is no 64 bit OS available for it yet.
This is really very stupid, it means I have to compile something myself (which probably takes a lot of time to get everything working) or I just have to be patient.
I installed Raspbian "Jessie Lite" (still 32-bit indeed) on mine and compiled a Floyd development version. Not disappointed: it runs 1.64x faster than on the rpi2 at 900MHz. I compared just single-core performance. Difference might be partly also compiler (gcc 4.8 vs gcc 4.9). And Floyd is not bitboard, so one can expect better for such. Embedded wifi is very nice. I might use this one for in the PiDP-8/I and put that on FICS.
[Account deleted]
bnemias

Post by bnemias »

I'm excited to see rapid movement in this area. These devices are becoming fast enough to perform desktop tasks, and as such, people are starting to think about these for rudimentary desktop machines. This means demand for good graphic drivers and accelerated codecs is increasing. Soon enough this stuff should become mainlined and we'll see an explosion as people tired of wintel have a viable alternative that is also very low power and no moving parts.
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

bnemias wrote: This means demand for good graphic drivers and accelerated codecs is increasing.
Wasn't that one of the really cool parts of the Pi was that Qualcom or whoever made it, completely opened up the GPU. So the drivers are pretty wicked. Was reading about an OpenCL driver for the GPU.