VirtualBox

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bob

Re: VirtualBox

Post by bob »

hgm wrote:Indeed, both my Win 8.1 and Win 7 machines are pestering me with popups to upgrade to Win 10. I must admit that the popup that forced the restart did come after I had been ignoring similar popups that did offer a choice (Restart / Close) for a week, and that fo a few days it had been adding the sentence @your computer will be restarted today@ in these popups. Still I think it is obscene...
Need I remind you:

"Windows is not the answer, windows? is the question." "NO" is the answer...

--linus torvalds
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

Greg Strong wrote: Yup, Windows is getting continuously more annoying and intrusive. That link I sent will also stop the annoying upgrade popups, though.
Hello Gregory,

Thanks!

I have been a Windows user from (ahem) but this latest "attack" to upgrade to Windows 10 is more than a little disgusting...

Later.
ZirconiumX

Post by ZirconiumX »

I should explain. Microsoft has - with plenty of notice - made windows 10 a recommended update, so that those who did not reserve their copy get the option to upgrade. If you do not want Win10, disable recommended updates or disable that particular update. But really, take the upgrade while they're offering it - you save the Windows tax.

Matthew:out
Some believe in the almighty dollar.

I believe in the almighty printf statement.
stegemma
Full name: Stefano Gemma

Post by stegemma »

bob wrote:[...]
Need I remind you:

"Windows is not the answer, windows? is the question." "NO" is the answer...

--linus torvalds
Linus Torvalds? In Italy we say "è come chiedere all'oste se il vino è buono". How can we trust, in 2016, what has been said by the creator of an OS with almost no desktop users all over the world? (compared to Win/Mac user, I mean).

PS: of course I'm partially joking
Author of Drago, Raffaela, Freccia, Satana, Sabrina.
http://www.linformatica.com
Evert

Post by Evert »

ZirconiumX wrote:I should explain. Microsoft has - with plenty of notice - made windows 10 a recommended update, so that those who did not reserve their copy get the option to upgrade. If you do not want Win10, disable recommended updates or disable that particular update. But really, take the upgrade while they're offering it - you save the Windows tax.
You can do that by installing Linux.

At least on OS X I can say "no" to updating Mountain Lion. Probably not a good idea indefinitely, but OS X seems to have been going downhill since 10.6 (Snow Leopard).
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Why do you think I try to maintain support for snow leopard :) Here is to another 6 years!
Greg Strong

Post by Greg Strong »

ZirconiumX wrote:I should explain. Microsoft has - with plenty of notice - made windows 10 a recommended update, so that those who did not reserve their copy get the option to upgrade. If you do not want Win10, disable recommended updates or disable that particular update. But really, take the upgrade while they're offering it - you save the Windows tax.
Read the Terms of Service agreement before you say it's "free". If it was such a good deal why do they ram it down our throats?
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Because they want it to become the next business OS. It's rough when your main competition is yourself with your superior old product. Someone told the current Microsoft execs that long ago to get strong support with business they have to get all of the public on board. People want to use the same OS they have at home. It was this strategy that killed Novel in the past despite being a superior product. Only problem is they also want it to be the go to tablet OS which is why the design and UI remains stupid for business desktops and pretty stupid for tablets for that matter. Like NTFS itself, it's Frankenstein's monster and man is it ugly.
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

They should stop smoking bad things.
and stop saying nonsense. At the end of 99 per cent we will continue to have Microsoft products.
Everything works fine in Win 10, is free as said Mateuw Brades and Virtual Box works great.
The family makes use of windows 10 and have another disk with Win 7 months ago that it does not start.
And unseen spy hovering around the screen. :twisted: