Hash cache

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Aleks Peshkov

Re: Hash cache

Post by Aleks Peshkov »

hgm wrote:I never noticed that. I always start calculating the hash key, to use it for repetition detection. If the move is a repetition, then making it is a waste of time. (And probing the TT would also be a waste of time.)
Early "prefetch" instruction for probing TT is not a waste of time.
bob

Post by bob »

hgm wrote:The private CPU caches simply reloads from memory or the shared L3 when the thread access those memory location from the new CPU, not?
Hopefully most will be cache-to-cache. It even gets transported L3 to L3 if this is a dual-chip box with two (or more) L3 caches.

For me, a split block contains a lot of data, and each thread (for crafty) has 64 split blocks. Don't want those to be on a different node from the thread using them, otherwise the cache miss penalty will double or more.
Aleks Peshkov

Post by Aleks Peshkov »

hgm wrote:I always start calculating the hash key, to use it for repetition detection. If the move is a repetition, then making it is a waste of time. (And probing the TT would also be a waste of time.)
What about the case of pawn's double push en passant capture flag being invalid due pinned opponent's pawn? Do you just ignore such case?