stockfish compile

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

christian

stockfish compile

Post by christian »

I would be very happy if some one could compile for me the newest stockfish development Version with the following Setting for modern Computer and for old processors
In case you Need something from me for this favour let me know

Contempt 15
Mobility Midgame 125
Passed Pawns Endgame 130
Space 135
Aggressiveness 135
Cowardice 70
Emergency Basetime 200
Emergency Move time 70
Slow Mover 50

Thank you very much Christian
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Re: stockfish compile

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Sorry Christian, I am afraid this will be next to impossible to do because in order to have an evaluation that depends as little as possible on the side to move, so that stored evaluation can be used immediately after a null move (with the sign changed, + to -, eval favourable for White is unfavourable for Black) there is no asymmetric King safety anymore, no Aggression and Cowardice. The other settings are either still UCI options adjustable by the user (although the time settings have changed as well) or easy to hardcode, but not those two.

I would suggest learning how to compile Stockfish sources yourself, and then experiment a little with how Stockfish works today. Maybe you could make Stockfish more aggressive, a bit like this, yourself.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

It is fairly trivial to create a new UCI parameter.
(At least one of your settings is already a UCI parameter also).

You can add some parameters and build your own version.
Do you know how to perform a build?
christian

Post by christian »

Thank you for the help even when ist not encouraging because im without any knowledge in programming and i didnt know that the changes of the Setting in this Special Parameters is no longer possible out of reason of the Programm
Thamk you
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

christian wrote:Thank you for the help even when ist not encouraging because im without any knowledge in programming and i didnt know that the changes of the Setting in this Special Parameters is no longer possible out of reason of the Programm
Thamk you
I took a look at the code base. The internals have migrated enough that some of the parameters you want are not really changeable in the way that you desire without a big restructure of some kind.

Take space, for instance.
This array has space stuff:

// Evaluation weights, indexed by the corresponding evaluation term
enum { Mobility, PawnStructure, PassedPawns, Space, KingSafety };

const struct Weight {
int mg, eg;
} Weights[] = {
{289, 344}, {233, 201}, {221, 273}, {46, 0}, {322, 0}
};

The 4th entry has 46 as the factor for space in the mid-game and 0 for space in the end-game.

But I doubt if you want to ham around with the raw, internal values.

Sorry I could not be more helpful.
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Dann Corbit wrote: But I doubt if you want to ham around with the raw, internal values.
- Changing the values inside code, if you know which ones to change, is in my opinion not really much more complicated than changing UCI settings and then make that a new version of Stockfish inside the GUI. It only takes marginally more time but of course you have to learn how to use MinGW , which version to dowload and install, and feed it sourcecode. This has little to do with learning to program but there seems to be a lot of mystery about this, sadly. Kids should learn it at school at an early age, using Lego and stuff. They will be benefitting from it all their life.

- I am not really a fan but there is this Stockfish clone called "Sugar" that has more UCI options. However they are all new inventions that have little to do with what Christian wanted. I found this list of options on a post at the Rybka board. Just in case you want more options than Stockfish
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan