Android Studio

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Android Studio

Post by hgm »

I installed Android Studio to experiment a it with creating apps for my new Galaxy Tab. But is it normal that nothing works as advertized, or is there something wrong in my setup? I tried to do the "My First App" example, but:

* 'Gradle' cannot 'sync' (which apparently means 'compile') the project, because it "cannot resolve the symbol. getDefaultProguardFile", which the example contains.
* When I comment out the line that contains it, and try to run the app on a real device, nothing seems to happen.
* When I try to run the app through an emulator, I got the error message that HAXM does not work, and that the emulation required more memory than the VM supports.
* When I tried to define a new emulation device (to lower the memory requirement) I continually ran into the error message "the skin directory does not contain a valid skin". (Today this error mysteriously disappeared, though).
* When I reinstall the Intel Emulator Accelerator (HAXM) with a larger memory reservation, running the emulation makes my computer freeze (no mouse or keyboard response anymore), and the only way out is to cut the power and reboot.

What a mess...
Henk

Re: Android Studio

Post by Henk »

hgm wrote:I installed Android Studio to experiment a it with creating apps for my new Galaxy Tab. But is it normal that nothing works as advertized, or is there something wrong in my setup? I tried to do the "My First App" example, but:

* 'Gradle' cannot 'sync' (which apparently means 'compile') the project, because it "cannot resolve the symbol. getDefaultProguardFile", which the example contains.
* When I comment out the line that contains it, and try to run the app on a real device, nothing seems to happen.
* When I try to run the app through an emulator, I got the error message that HAXM does not work, and that the emulation required more memory than the VM supports.
* When I tried to define a new emulation device (to lower the memory requirement) I continually ran into the error message "the skin directory does not contain a valid skin". (Today this error mysteriously disappeared, though).
* When I reinstall the Intel Emulator Accelerator (HAXM) with a larger memory reservation, running the emulation makes my computer freeze (no mouse or keyboard response anymore), and the only way out is to cut the power and reboot.

What a mess...
The more users the bigger the chance that you can find something about the issue on the internet. I use visual studio because there were many users. But I also don't like to switch from one development environment to the other because it only slows down development. Mostly nothing new under the sun only a different jacket. Of course it is different if you don't have a choice.
stegemma
Full name: Stefano Gemma

Post by stegemma »

When i've developed my ABABAB simple puzzle game, i've found that using the emulator requires a lot of memory. To make the whole things works, you need to solve any strange kind of error. The full developing stage even of a simple application requires a lot of time, is not as simple as publishing a windows executable on our web-site.
jorose
Full name: Jonathan Rosenthal

Post by jorose »

I did a group project with it at Uni. Worked really well to be honest, but it probably helped that we had someone in our group that knew what he was doing. Iirc he mentioned it was very important to update everything after setup. Essentially even if you just downloaded everything you need to update it everything once or twice and then it should work without any issues.

If that doesn't help and you have some time, I'll see my friend on Monday and I might be able to ask him if he can help you then.

One last thing I should mention is that I'm not sure any of us were working under windows, all on Mac or Linux, though I assume your issues won't be platform specific.
sean_vn

Post by sean_vn »

I didn't like Android Studio. If it had worked well it would have helped me a lot.
I think you can avoid a lot of issues relating to platform dependence by using HTML5 and javascript. That is what I am studying up on at the moment, after having looked at lots of different options. I'm not saying that HTML5 doesn't have a lot of problems too, it sure does, but those problems will be resolved by browser vendors over the next few years, unless everyone decides it was a bad idea like xhtml.
stegemma
Full name: Stefano Gemma

Post by stegemma »

I've installed Android Studio on Mac OS X and it worked. It imports my previous Eclipse project but the emulator is very slow so debugging Android apps on the emulator is very frustrating, for this reason. 4 Gb of RAM are not enough, if you use any other software, in the meantime. Despite of that, it works and the installation is simpler than those of the old eclipse platform that i've used.