NegaC*

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

ZirconiumX

NegaC*

Post by ZirconiumX »

I wonder how an implementation of NegaC* would fair in comparison to a modern aspiration window search. Would it be faster (all searches in a zero window) or slower (requires at least 2 searches per iteration)?

For anyone who does not know what NegaC* is - it's essentially a binary search using zero-window fail-soft alpha-beta to extract values.

Matthew:out
Some believe in the almighty dollar.

I believe in the almighty printf statement.
rreagan

Re: NegaC*

Post by rreagan »

How is it different from MTD(f)?
Henk

Post by Henk »

rreagan wrote:How is it different from MTD(f)?
What I know about MTD(f) is that you can't do futility pruning. Other reductions may not be applicable too I guess. It's just a total different approach.
ZirconiumX

Post by ZirconiumX »

MTD(f) requires a first guess to be accurate, NegaC* does not, but they are otherwise highly related.

I'm only asking this out of curiosity.

ZirconiumX

Post by ZirconiumX »

Henk wrote:
What I know about MTD(f) is that you can't do futility pruning. Other reductions may not be applicable too I guess. It's just a total different approach.
Not sure if this is correct. Stockfish applies futility pruning in zero-window searches, and since in MTD(f) the entire search is zero-window, I think it's OK to do futility pruning.

I do know that Principal Variation Search is pointless in MTD(f), though (first move: search with full window, which is a zero-window, all others, search with a zero window, which is the same as what we currently have).

Henk

Post by Henk »

ZirconiumX wrote:
MTD(f) requires a first guess to be accurate, NegaC* does not, but they are otherwise highly related.

An advantage is that you get more hash table hits. When I implemented it my hash table was not working correctly. Also I remember stop criterium gave problems. Flipping from guess to guess + delta and back. But my implementation was not good.
ZirconiumX

Post by ZirconiumX »

Henk wrote:
ZirconiumX wrote:

An advantage is that you get more hash table hits. When I implemented it my hash table was not working correctly. Also I remember stop criterium gave problems. Flipping from guess to guess + delta and back. But my implementation was not good.
Since MTD(f) is incredibly slow without a TT (Aske Plaat explicitly stated it had to have a TT in his thesis).

I have yet to see NegaC* bound bounce, like MTD(f) does.

I suppose we have to wait until someone with more experience chips in.

Henk

Post by Henk »

ZirconiumX wrote:
Henk wrote:
ZirconiumX wrote:

Since MTD(f) is incredibly slow without a TT (Aske Plaat explicitly stated it had to have a TT in his thesis).

I have yet to see NegaC* bound bounce, like MTD(f) does.

I suppose we have to wait until someone with more experience chips in.

With MTD(f) you have no alpha or beta but only one gamma. So it's quite different. But it's too long ago. I can't remember.
bob

Post by bob »

ZirconiumX wrote:

Either has to be accurate. Otherwise you require more iterations. I gave up on mtd(f) after several months of effort many years ago when Don Daily was touting its benefits. If a new iteration significantly changes the score, it does not work well.