Help with CLOP

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

arjuntemurnikar

Re: Help with CLOP

Post by arjuntemurnikar »

Daniel Shawul wrote: Do the same with a simple python program that prints "print 'W'" see if there is a difference. On windows you need to execute 'python dum.py'. For linux that might be also the case so in your shell script add a 'python' infront to see it works. If that doesn't work give the full path to the python /home/python27/python etc.

Code: Select all

# Script for running a game. See DummyScript.py for details. 
Script ./clop-cutechess-cli.py 
should be

# Script for running a game. See DummyScript.py for details. 
Script python ./clop-cutechess-cli.py 
Also print some debugging stuff to a log file or stderr in the first lines of your python script and see if it is being executed.
Oh, you meant I should input the test script into clop? I only invoked it from the command line last time.

Ok, now I made a simple python script:

#!/usr/bin/python

print("W")
I marked it as executable with

chmod +x test.py
..and added it to the clop file.

Now clop works!

Oh... oh my... I think I know what I did wrong. I marked cutechess-cli.sh as executable but forgot to mark clop-cutechess-cli.py as executable!

I did that now, and clop works perfectly!!

99% of all mistakes turn out to be silly mistakes. :)

Thank you so much Daniel Shawul, Adam Hair and Jon Dart for your kind help. :)

Here is a virtual gift for you:
arjuntemurnikar

Post by arjuntemurnikar »

Just 2 more questions, if I may:

1. How do I make sense of the data? Do I look at the mean? (I have put in 4 values for tuning)
2. How many games should I let it play? Is there a limit, or will it just keep playing on until I say stop? On average how many games till it converges? 50K, 100K? *Currently, 11K games have been played)

Thanks for your kind help.
rbarreira

Post by rbarreira »

arjuntemurnikar wrote:Just 2 more questions, if I may:

1. How do I make sense of the data? Do I look at the mean? (I have put in 4 values for tuning)
2. How many games should I let it play? Is there a limit, or will it just keep playing on until I say stop? On average how many games till it converges? 50K, 100K? *Currently, 11K games have been played)

Thanks for your kind help.
The mean is what you're looking for, that's what the author said and it's also better according to my experience.

As for how many games, it depends on a lot of things such as the number of parameters, ranges and how much accuracy you want. I typically tune 1 or 2 parameters and 10,000 games gives acceptable results so far. With more parameters you'd probably want at least 100k games.
flok

Post by flok »

rbarreira wrote:As for how many games, it depends on a lot of things such as the number of parameters, ranges and how much accuracy you want. I typically tune 1 or 2 parameters and 10,000 games gives acceptable results so far. With more parameters you'd probably want at least 100k games.
How did you come up with that value? Is it the result of some statistic rule or a chess rule?

My engine is 132 parameters (yes, 132), I wonder how many games that'll take?
rbarreira

Post by rbarreira »

flok wrote:
rbarreira wrote:As for how many games, it depends on a lot of things such as the number of parameters, ranges and how much accuracy you want. I typically tune 1 or 2 parameters and 10,000 games gives acceptable results so far. With more parameters you'd probably want at least 100k games.
How did you come up with that value? Is it the result of some statistic rule or a chess rule?

My engine is 132 parameters (yes, 132), I wonder how many games that'll take?
It's not really a rule, just a heuristic based on my experiments and what I've read from other people.

For 132 parameters I would recommend tuning just a few at a time. 132 at the same time would take a shitload of games.