Scorpio 6men EGBB Now available

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Daniel Shawul

Re: Scorpio 6men EGBB Now available

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Joshua, I noticed that you named the egbbs version 3.0 but it is 4.0 for the 6 men. Also could you please replace the 5 men v3.0 with the new 5men v4.0 from here http://shawul.olympuschess.com/egbb/egbb5men.7z . They are a bit smaller and old engines still work with them.
beachknight

Post by beachknight »

Thank you Josh and Daniel.
Best,
hi, merhaba, hallo HT
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

I fixed the name for the 6men set. Will grab the new 3-4-5men set and torrent it.

My host is doing server maintainance so my server will be down for a couple hours. Will try and get it all sorted tomorrow, and put the new 3-4-5 up on the torrent site.

-Josh
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

Daniel it appears the egbb5.7z is corrupt. I've tried grabbing it from the web and via scp and still getting errors on extraction.

Can you verify?
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

It seems to work for me but HG also had similar problems with the .7z file. I replaced the .7z file with a new .zip file.
Thanks
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

So far I have ignored enpassant but now it seems that it is time to add enpassant square to the probing code. I want to do this before engine authors upgrade to probe_egbb_xmen which doesn't accept epsquare right now. Positions like below are currently misevaluated by scorpio which happily plays h5! I will change this to treat positions with epsquare as broken and resolve them by making the enpassant move instead.
[D] 8/3k3p/8/6P1/1K6/8/8/8 b - - 0 1
Current

Code: Select all

typedef int (CDECL *PPROBE_EGBB) (int player, int* piece,int* square);
I can use it as it is by appending square[] last element to be epsquare. That way atleast anyone who have already implemented it ( probably none right now) doesn't get affected. But I prefere the explicit

Code: Select all

typedef int (CDECL *PPROBE_EGBB) (int player, int* piece,int* square,int* epsquare);
@Joshua, I will update the egbbdlls and egbbso with this new modification. I think that will affect your md5 sums. Is it better to offer those as separate download? I don't like these because people will then forget to download them and give me headaches about engine not loading bitbases ...
Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen »

Daniel Shawul wrote:Joshua, I noticed that you named the egbbs version 3.0 but it is 4.0 for the 6 men. Also could you please replace the 5 men v3.0 with the new 5men v4.0 from here http://shawul.olympuschess.com/egbb/egbb5men.7z . They are a bit smaller and old engines still work with them.
Daniel,

I don't know if you remember our email exchange a while back but you recommended me to disable access to Scorpio bitbases if using many cores (like the TCEC server using 16) since I experienced crashes. I think you said this was because of non-optimization for multiple threads in the bitbase code (or something).

So my question is, is this fixed with these new dll's and 5-men?

Best,
Martin
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

@Martin,
Unfortunately I forgot to increase the number of processors from 8 to 16 again. I will compile the dlls to work with 16 cores and give you a link to it later. For testing , I will also compile a new Scorpio version that supports the new 6-man bitbases but ofcourse you don't have to download all those but just the 200MB 5 men.
Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen »

Daniel Shawul wrote:@Martin,
Unfortunately I forgot to increase the number of processors from 8 to 16 again. I will compile the dlls to work with 16 cores and give you a link to it later. For testing , I will also compile a new Scorpio version that supports the new 6-man bitbases but ofcourse you don't have to download all those but just the 200MB 5 men.
Great, thanks a lot. Please let me know when it's available.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Here is a compile of egbbdlls for upto 64 processors. Extract and replace the four egbbdll and egbbso files with these one.
http://shawul.olympuschess.com/egbb/egbbdll.zip
And a scorpio version that can use them
http://shawul.olympuschess.com/egbb/Scorpio.zip
And the new 5-men egbbs can be downloaded here.
http://shawul.olympuschess.com/egbb/egbb5men.zip
Note that the egbbdlls that comes inside this 5men package do not work on more than 8 cpus so replace them with the above that work for upto 64 cpus.
Please let me know if you find problems.

Edit I made it sound like only Scorpio can use the new ones but old engines can also use them. So just delete the old 5-men files you already have and use the new ones. This only to allow newer Scorpio versions to use egbbs, because it can not use the old ones. I did this deliberately to force testers to download new egbbs :)