Let us , programers, express ourselves

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Daniel Shawul

Let us , programers, express ourselves

Post by Daniel Shawul »

The poll is for programers to express themselves. You are surely not doing your job. Stop addressing me in the mod's thread, if you don't allow me to reply in public. Let the programmers express their views with the poll. You have what 3/4 days to do something about it. Are you so afraid that you locked my poll in 0.25 seconds before I even finish editing. Are you afraid that someone else will actually agree with me, and you will not have an excuse that I am the only one to oppose?
bob

Re: Let us , programers, express ourselves

Post by bob »

What poll are you talking about?
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

Daniel Shawul wrote:The poll is for programers to express themselves. You are surely not doing your job. Stop addressing me in the mod's thread, if you don't allow me to reply in public. Let the programmers express their views with the poll. You have what 3/4 days to do something about it. Are you so afraid that you locked my poll in 0.25 seconds before I even finish editing. Are you afraid that someone else will actually agree with me, and you will not have an excuse that I am the only one to oppose?
Your complained was already addressed. STOP polluting the thread [EDIT:subforum] with that and let the mod team do their job even if you do not agree with their decisions. This thread will disappear too at one point, to avoid yet another complaining thread polluting the first page of the P&T forum. I told you in private to stop it, but you prefer the public route.

Miguel
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

michiguel wrote:
Daniel Shawul wrote:The poll is for programers to express themselves. You are surely not doing your job. Stop addressing me in the mod's thread, if you don't allow me to reply in public. Let the programmers express their views with the poll. You have what 3/4 days to do something about it. Are you so afraid that you locked my poll in 0.25 seconds before I even finish editing. Are you afraid that someone else will actually agree with me, and you will not have an excuse that I am the only one to oppose?
Your complained was already addressed. STOP polluting the thread with that and let the mod team do their job even if you do not agree with their decisions. This thread will disappear too at one point, to avoid yet another complaining thread polluting the first page of the P&T forum. I told you in private to stop it, but you prefer the public route.

Miguel
Yes I prefer the programers know your stand in public, so no private conversation. State your stand in public here , simply letting it go doesn't say anything. I actually don't care about your opinion alone, but want to know other programer's opinions. Such an opinion-polls to programers have been posted here many times. So get it to your head, I am not addressing you. If I want to do that, I would send you a complaints thread.
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

Daniel Shawul wrote:
michiguel wrote:
Your complained was already addressed. STOP polluting the thread with that and let the mod team do their job even if you do not agree with their decisions. This thread will disappear too at one point, to avoid yet another complaining thread polluting the first page of the P&T forum. I told you in private to stop it, but you prefer the public route.

Miguel
Yes I prefer the programers know your stand in public, so no private conversation. State your stand in public here , simply letting it go doesn't say anything. I actually don't care about your opinion alone, but want to know other programer's opinions. Such an opinion-polls to programers have been posted here many times. So get it to your head, I am not addressing you. If I want to do that, I would send you a complaints thread.
You already opened a thread about it. And you started the post addressing the mod team. You opened a second, with a poll, which we answered, and now you opened this, a third one.

Miguel
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

So here is your final stand :
To precise Miguel's post, here is the position the moderators came to after having (extensively) discussed the matter :
1- those threads are interesting to most users, obviously. And they're not CC-unrelated, because the matter they discuss can be very important to find nasty bugs when you don't understand a strange behavior in your program.
2- Spam is something that has three characteristics : 1) it is unsolicited (could also be read as : only one poster involved), 2) it overwhelms a place (ok, could fit, here), 3) it interests nobody. Obviously many people are interested, here, or there wouldn't be such long threads. So it's definitely not spam.
3- If you're not interested, you don't read them and/or you don't participate.
So 80 pages of strcpy()-overflow

1) are on-topic to a 'chess programming' forum.

2) It is not spam

3) The participants decide what is on-topic to a chess programming forum. If most are physicists, we could discuss about programming done in physics, despite that it is a chess-programming forum.

Ok your stands are clear to everyone.

Now let the other programmers express their opinion through the poll. If you find any of the options I put up there directly address anyone in particular, I will remove it. Such opinion polls to programmers have been posted here before.
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

Daniel Shawul wrote:So here is your final stand :
To precise Miguel's post, here is the position the moderators came to after having (extensively) discussed the matter :
1- those threads are interesting to most users, obviously. And they're not CC-unrelated, because the matter they discuss can be very important to find nasty bugs when you don't understand a strange behavior in your program.
2- Spam is something that has three characteristics : 1) it is unsolicited (could also be read as : only one poster involved), 2) it overwhelms a place (ok, could fit, here), 3) it interests nobody. Obviously many people are interested, here, or there wouldn't be such long threads. So it's definitely not spam.

2) It is not spam

3) The participants decide what is on-topic to a chess programming forum. If most are physicists, we could discuss about programming done in physics, despite that it is a chess-programming forum.

Now let the other programmers express their opinion through the poll. If you find any of the options I put up there directly address anyone in particular, I will remove it. Such opinion polls to programmers have been posted here before.
"...since the mods have left us to ourselves." is not a good way to start a post. If it was not intention, at least the consequence would have been another flame war. That you were not "addressing us" is very disingenuous. The poll itself was not the only reason for locking it. Now that is it, the programmer can and always expressed what they think, and many already did in your previous thread. In fact, we listened to it.

Miguel
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

It is easier to make a scapegoat of one, than let the poll tell you many programmers opinions, isn't it? There is at-least one other programmer who got fed up with it that I know of, Lucas. Now that is two of us, there could be more but you would rather not find out. The poll is addressed for programmers, chess programmers to be precise.

I addressed you first, you say you will get back to it, but didn't. Only now did we get your 3-point stand as I have re-posted it. Ok we got your stand, now let the poll for programmers be activated, which I don't know why it is locked 0.25 seconds after I post it. Anyone at any time can request programmer's opinions through a poll. If it is all clear and peaceful as you say, activate the poll and we will find out.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

michiguel wrote:
Daniel Shawul wrote:So here is your final stand :

2) It is not spam

"...since the mods have left us to ourselves." is not a good way to start a post. If it was not intention, at least the consequence would have been another flame war. That you were not "addressing us" is very disingenuous. The poll itself was not the only reason for locking it. Now that is it, the programmer can and always expressed what they think, and many already did in your previous thread. In fact, we listened to it.

Miguel
I said I addressed you first, but you failed to get back to us as you promised in that other thread you cut-off. The poll was clearly addressed for programmers, whether you believe it or not. What if I asked about off-topic discussions again? Yet another thread evolved spammy, that first started as a chess-related discussion, and you say nothing about it? But no my pointing out that it is getting spammy is? That is double standard. You are becoming more like the ICGA with your suppression of freedom of expression. It is an important question that I directed to chess programers as to what they expect chess programing is? The feedback might not even support what I belive in, remember Henk's poll? But karma is a bitch.
wgarvin

Post by wgarvin »

From what I can tell, we programmers ARE expressing ourselves! Prodigiously, in fact. :lol:

I'm trying to refrain from posting in those threads as they are getting pretty noisy. At least the participants are generally being polite and there are no vicious personal attacks etc. (maybe a little barb here or there..)