2 Moves Engine Book

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Re: 2 Moves Engine Book

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

Adam Hair wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote: Many thanks Adam!!

You are an absolute whizzard. I knew I should have studied computer science once.
Many thanks also to Miguel, of course, for his precious Gaviota tool. It seems that the mods here are doing an extremely useful job, hats off.

Concerning the book, that is how a computer shines over a human: I never thought there wer so many duplicates, maybe some 4/9ths, I supposed there were some when I entered the moves, but my memory failed me.

Now, one last thing about the book: would you please give me an advice if the pgn format is the best for a book, or maybe there is some other format preferable, for example bin file? What would most engine events use?
Is it possible to also add a bin file to the download option, maybe someone could help with transforming the pgn to bin?

Finally, would you mind if I use your download address to post a brief message, maybe on the main forum, to let users know there is a new book to use?

Maybe thanks again for the incredible help!
Hi Adam.
Just to ask once again if you have some comments on the above questions of mine?
Hi Lyudmil,

I have not checked for a few hours, so I missed your response.

I think the format that would be most used is pgn, but it would probably useful to make it available in various formats. Tomorrow (Sunday) I will upload a folder of the book in pgn, epd, bin, and possibly Arena and ChessGui formats. When I have uploaded the folder, I will share the link. You can freely post the link wherever you like.

I helped out because I admire your contributions to computer chess. I am no programmer, but I saw how I could use a text editor, a spreadsheet, and some computer chess tools to reformat your book. It took less than 4 hours total. However, if the book was 3 moves or more deep, I would have not made the effort. I have better things to do on the weekends :)
Many thanks Adam!
I will be waiting for the link.
If you are no programmer, I am unable to read this message. :)
I suppose all the openings now will be played with equal frequency.

I again say the mods are great.
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

Here is the link to the book in various formats:

The file contains the book in pgn, epd, bin, and Arena format. Perhaps some else can handle other formats such as ChessGUI, ChessBase, and Shredder.

The bin and Arena books are uniform, meaning that all openings are weighed the same and should occur with the same frequency.

I have provided my part of the work with no strings attached, so feel free to do as you will with the link and files.

EDIT
New link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/jskag ... LT_1000.7z
Last edited by Adam Hair on Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joerg Oster

Post by Joerg Oster »

Thanks Adam and Lyudmil. Nice idea.
Jörg Oster
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
Adam Hair wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:

You are an absolute whizzard. I knew I should have studied computer science once.
Many thanks also to Miguel, of course, for his precious Gaviota tool. It seems that the mods here are doing an extremely useful job, hats off.

Concerning the book, that is how a computer shines over a human: I never thought there wer so many duplicates, maybe some 4/9ths, I supposed there were some when I entered the moves, but my memory failed me.

Now, one last thing about the book: would you please give me an advice if the pgn format is the best for a book, or maybe there is some other format preferable, for example bin file? What would most engine events use?
Is it possible to also add a bin file to the download option, maybe someone could help with transforming the pgn to bin?

Finally, would you mind if I use your download address to post a brief message, maybe on the main forum, to let users know there is a new book to use?

Hi Adam.
Just to ask once again if you have some comments on the above questions of mine?
Hi Lyudmil,

I think the format that would be most used is pgn, but it would probably useful to make it available in various formats. Tomorrow (Sunday) I will upload a folder of the book in pgn, epd, bin, and possibly Arena and ChessGui formats. When I have uploaded the folder, I will share the link. You can freely post the link wherever you like.

I helped out because I admire your contributions to computer chess. I am no programmer, but I saw how I could use a text editor, a spreadsheet, and some computer chess tools to reformat your book. It took less than 4 hours total. However, if the book was 3 moves or more deep, I would have not made the effort. I have better things to do on the weekends :)
Many thanks Adam!

Just to be clear, this is not part of a moderation service :-) Adam is a really helpful member, whether being a mod or not. The rest of the mod team is mean...

Adam beat me to it, but I thought yesterday that the format translation was a nice exercise and I quickly hacked a ruby script. By that time, Adam posted it.

This is the ruby script that will translate your format to pgn (named lt2pgn.rb and execute it like this

ruby lt2pgn.rb book.txt > book.pgn

If Adam uses it again, it will be neede to clean up the moves (de4 ---> dxe4), and later find duplicates, but that is pretty automatic.

Miguel
PS: Ruby is fantastic, it allows me to do this even though my knowledge of ruby is extremely limited.

Code: Select all

def get_lines filename
	lines = []
	File.open filename, "r" do |f|
		lines = f.readlines
	end
	return lines
end

def outputheader
	puts '[Event "?"]'
	puts '[Site "?"]'
	puts '[Date "????.??.??"]'
	puts '[Round "?"]'
	puts '[White "?"]'
	puts '[Black "?"]'
	puts '[Result "*"]'
end

def outputtail
	puts 
end

def outputline a
	if (a != nil)
		o = ''
		a.each do |x|
			if (x == nil)
				o += 'NIL' 
			else
				o += x 
			end
			o += ' '
		end
		puts o + '*'
	else
		puts 'NIL'
	end
end

def getfromto a,i,d
	x = []
	while &#40;i < d&#41; do
		x << a&#91;i&#93;
		i += 1
	end
	x
end

#== PROGRAM STARTS =================================

linearr = get_lines ARGV&#91;0&#93;

current = ''
clen = 0
round = 0

linearr.each do |line|
	if line != nil
		line = line.chomp.strip
		if &#40;line.length > 0&#41;
			a = line.split&#40;' ')

alen = a.length

if &#40;round == 0&#41;
				clen = alen
				newcurr = a
			else
				d = clen - alen
				if &#40;d < 0&#41; 
					puts 'length problems'
					exit 0
				end
				newcurr = getfromto&#40;current,0,d&#41;
				newcurr += a
			end

outputheader
			outputline newcurr
			outputtail
			current = newcurr
			round += 1

end
	end	
end
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Would that really be any longer in plain C?
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

hgm wrote:Would that really be any longer in plain C?
Doing these things in Ruby is way much faster to write it, particularly with string manipulation (not necessarily fewer lines). Anyway, I am sure it could be written more compact in both, C and Ruby than I have done it.

Miguel
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

michiguel wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
Adam Hair wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:

Hi Adam.
Hi Lyudmil,

Many thanks Adam!

Just to be clear, this is not part of a moderation service :-) Adam is a really helpful member, whether being a mod or not. The rest of the mod team is mean...

Adam beat me to it, but I thought yesterday that the format translation was a nice exercise and I quickly hacked a ruby script. By that time, Adam posted it.

This is the ruby script that will translate your format to pgn (named lt2pgn.rb and execute it like this

ruby lt2pgn.rb book.txt > book.pgn

If Adam uses it again, it will be neede to clean up the moves (de4 ---> dxe4), and later find duplicates, but that is pretty automatic.

Miguel
PS: Ruby is fantastic, it allows me to do this even though my knowledge of ruby is extremely limited.

def get_lines filename
	lines = &#91;&#93;
	File.open filename, "r" do |f|
		lines = f.readlines
	end
	return lines
end

def outputheader
	puts '&#91;Event "?"&#93;'
	puts '&#91;Site "?"&#93;'
	puts '&#91;Date "????.??.??"&#93;'
	puts '&#91;Round "?"&#93;'
	puts '&#91;White "?"&#93;'
	puts '&#91;Black "?"&#93;'
	puts '&#91;Result "*"&#93;'
end

def outputtail
	puts 
end

def outputline a
	if &#40;a != nil&#41;
		o = ''
		a.each do |x|
			if &#40;x == nil&#41;
				o += 'NIL' 
			else
				o += x 
			end
			o += ' '
		end
		puts o + '*'
	else
		puts 'NIL'
	end
end

def getfromto a,i,d
	x = &#91;&#93;
	while &#40;i < d&#41; do
		x << a&#91;i&#93;
		i += 1
	end
	x
end

#== PROGRAM STARTS =================================

linearr = get_lines ARGV&#91;0&#93;

current = ''
clen = 0
round = 0

linearr.each do |line|
	if line != nil
		line = line.chomp.strip
		if &#40;line.length > 0&#41;
			a = line.split&#40;' ')

alen = a.length

if &#40;round == 0&#41;
				clen = alen
				newcurr = a
			else
				d = clen - alen
				if &#40;d < 0&#41; 
					puts 'length problems'
					exit 0
				end
				newcurr = getfromto&#40;current,0,d&#41;
				newcurr += a
			end

outputheader
			outputline newcurr
			outputtail
			current = newcurr
			round += 1

end
	end	
end
I have two thoughts:

1) Crap! I could have spent my 4 hours doing something else.
2) Great! I have another script that I can modify if necessary.
Ajedrecista

Re: 2-move engine book.

Post by Ajedrecista »

Hello:
Adam Hair wrote:Here is the link to the book in various formats:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/56dcg ... oves_LT.7z

The file contains the book in pgn, epd, bin, and Arena format. Perhaps some else can handle other formats such as ChessGUI, ChessBase, and Shredder.

The bin and Arena books are uniform, meaning that all openings are weighed the same and should occur with the same frequency.

I have provided my part of the work with no strings attached, so feel free to do as you will with the link and files.
I do not have ChessGUI but I took a look to *.cgb notation just opening Grob.cgb and Nimzowitsch-Larsen.cgb with Notepad (both downloaded from Kirill Kryukov's site, probably uploaded by Graham), and I created the full book 2moves_LT.cgb from scratch (913 lines), replacing things of the PGN into this empty Notepad. I post here the first ten lines with the only purpose of verification:

X-gb1gQ1a-6ga16gRXYa2XYa
X-gb1gQ1a-6ga1OKXYa2XYa
X-gb1gQ1a-6ga1jQXYa2XYa
X-gb1gQ1a-6ga17iQXYa2XYa
X-gb1gQ1a-Oc1OKXYa2XYa
X-gb1gQ1a-Oc17iQXYa2XYa
X-gb1gQ1a-Oc1jQXYa2XYa
X-gb1gQ1a-Oc1BQXYa2XYa
X-gb1gQ1a-jb1OKXYa2XYa
X-gb1gQ1a-jb1jQXYa2XYa
I am not sure if it will work. Just save a file with .cgb extension: if these ten lines match the first ten lines of the PGN, then I will be more sure about my work. Sorry but I do not have time right now to explain my conversion method and do a proper release. I just ask if this preview works. If that, there will be a release tomorrow.

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

michiguel wrote:Doing these things in Ruby is way much faster to write it, particularly with string manipulation (not necessarily fewer lines). Anyway, I am sure it could be written more compact in both, C and Ruby than I have done it.
Well, I don't know Ruby at all, so it is hard to judge for me how easy that makes it. But the task at hand seems quite trivial in C. It is basically just a matter of copying the indented lines over the end of the previous non-indented lines, starting at various positions. That is a single strcpy call, and counting some spaces.
Rein Halbersma

Post by Rein Halbersma »

hgm wrote:
michiguel wrote:Doing these things in Ruby is way much faster to write it, particularly with string manipulation (not necessarily fewer lines). Anyway, I am sure it could be written more compact in both, C and Ruby than I have done it.
Well, I don't know Ruby at all, so it is hard to judge for me how easy that makes it. But the task at hand seems quite trivial in C. It is basically just a matter of copying the indented lines over the end of the previous non-indented lines, starting at various positions. That is a single strcpy call, and counting some spaces.
It's not my intention to mock you in any way, but you do have to appreciate the irony of using the words "trivial in C" and a "single strcpy call" so close together, given the enormous thread going on :D