Preconditions

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JVMerlino

Re: Preconditions

Post by JVMerlino »

JVMerlino wrote:If it is very fast and well-written, it could easily be 2300 or more. Greko and Sungorus are good examples of a very small codebase providing surprising strength.
Of course I forgot to mention Steve Maughan's new Maverick engine as another good example.

jm
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

Henk wrote:And of course the less code the better.
Sure, Hello World has no bugs.
From what I've read so far it won't be much weaker than your program :wink:
My advice is focus on bugs and learn how to test better (10 games is not enough).
Btw. MDP is not about elo at all.
Henk

Post by Henk »

mar wrote:
Henk wrote:And of course the less code the better.
Sure, Hello World has no bugs.
From what I've read so far it won't be much weaker than your program :wink:
My advice is focus on bugs and learn how to test better (10 games is not enough).
Btw. MDP is not about elo at all.
I don't know the rating of Skipper. It plays better than LiChess Stockfish level 4 and worse than level 5 when Skipper gets 3 seconds per move.

I don't think Skipper has that many bugs. It's just only too minimal.
What is MDP ? Markov Decision Process ?

I just don't like testing. A few games is fun but at a certain point I'm getting more than enough of it. So I have to test fully automatically. Also don't like it if my notebook is busy all day. Waste of electricity. Electricity is not free and doesn't it make the notebook get broke earlier.
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

I don't think Skipper has that many bugs. It's just only too minimal.
What is MDP ? Markov Decision Process ?
You would be surprised :)
In this context MDP refers to mate distance pruning (which you mentioned earlier).
I just don't like testing. A few games is fun but at a certain point I'm getting more than enough of it. So I have to test fully automatically. Also don't like it if my notebook is busy all day. Waste of electricity. Electricity is not free and doesn't it make the notebook get broke earlier.
Testing is absolutely essential if you want to improve your program.
Robert Pope

Post by Robert Pope »

Henk wrote: I just don't like testing. A few games is fun but at a certain point I'm getting more than enough of it. So I have to test fully automatically. Also don't like it if my notebook is busy all day. Waste of electricity. Electricity is not free and doesn't it make the notebook get broke earlier.
If you aren't going to test, you aren't going to improve your program. It's not a waste of electricity if it is being used to accomplish something that you want, any more than turning the lights on in the room you are in.

I do my testing overnight. At 50/1 and ponder off, I can do about 200 games and have it done in the morning. Next, I am experimenting with cutechess instead of PSWBTM to get more than one thread at a time. That's not a ton of games, but it works reasonably well when improvements are 20-40 elo still on a new engine, and it catches obvious problems.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Sometimes my notebook makes strange noises when it is getting too busy. So I think I can forget using multiple threads. Also I get problems with memory. Perhaps memory leaks. So isn't heavy testing harmful for your computer.

I remember that I run my computer overnight and in the middle of the night I woke up and was anxious about the results. Then it appeared my computer was out of memory or I made some mistakes in the parameters.

I think a long running test should support start, stop and resume so I can stop the test if I want to check my e-mail.
Codesquid

Post by Codesquid »

Henk wrote:Sometimes my notebook makes strange noises when it is getting too busy.
Sounds like a hardware problem, should get that looked at and fixed by a computer repair technician.
I remember that I run my computer overnight and in the middle of the night I woke up and was anxious about the results. Then it appeared my computer was out of memory or I made some mistakes in the parameters.
Fix the bugs first, then focus on strength.

An engine that leaks memory will eventually crash, thus resulting in a lost game. Fixing memory leaks will not only make the engine testable, it incidentally prevents lost games due to out-of-memory crashes.
nanos gigantium humeris insidentes
Henk

Post by Henk »

Codesquid wrote:
Henk wrote:Sometimes my notebook makes strange noises when it is getting too busy.
Sounds like a hardware problem, should get that looked at and fixed by a computer repair technician.
No it's not normal for that processor. It uses some kind of turbo when it's getting busy. Then it starts making these awkward blowing noise for cooling or something. Like its trying to blow itself up. Notebook is quite new. Just bought the wrong one.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Henk wrote:
Codesquid wrote:
No it's not normal for that processor. It uses some kind of turbo when it's getting busy. Then it starts making these awkward blowing noise for cooling or something. Like its trying to blow itself up. Notebook is quite new. Just bought the wrong one.
I meant it's normal for that processor.
bob

Post by bob »

Henk wrote:
Henk wrote:
Codesquid wrote:
I meant it's normal for that processor.
All portables have a fan. Crank up the CPU and the fan has to wind up to keep the CPU from getting too hot. Even my macbook has a fan that can be heard if I run crafty using both cores...