OSX Xboard 4.7.2 .app

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JoshPettus

Re: OSX Xboard 4.7.2 .app

Post by JoshPettus »

Basically what I did.
After reading this thread
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.os.appl ... user/21352
I put in
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET 10.6
and then
SDKROOT /Developer/SDK/MacOSX10.6.sdk (where i had put it)
for good measure
then recompiled everything from scratch.

I know this worked as every so often id see 10.6.sdk fly across the screen as it was compiling. And his error isn't an automatic segfault error. So I'm on the right track i guess.
trojanfoe

Post by trojanfoe »

JoshPettus wrote:Basically what I did.
After reading this thread
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.os.appl ... user/21352
I put in
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET 10.6
and then
SDKROOT /Developer/SDK/MacOSX10.6.sdk (where i had put it)
for good measure
then recompiled everything from scratch.

I know this worked as every so often id see 10.6.sdk fly across the screen as it was compiling. And his error isn't an automatic segfault error. So I'm on the right track i guess.
And did you reinstall everything that was a dep the library required by Xboard?
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Yup, from scratch for good measure.
trojanfoe

Post by trojanfoe »

JoshPettus wrote:Yup, from scratch for good measure.
So you edited /opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf and added just:

macosx_deployment_target 10.6

(read the last 2 posts in the link you provided)
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

I did that. And the SDK bit. I know what you are saying about the SDK, but I doubt it is doing harm. Quite to the contrary. How else am I to make sure that it compiles against the system resources of 10.6? Which, looking at the terminal, it then does. Just as in Xcode, and what I have seen with the several other projects, setting target to OS 10.6 isn't enough with the 10.8sdk. There is a lot of stuff that has been changed or outright removed. Otherwise everybody wouldn't be struggling so hard with round about tricks to maintain OS 10.6 support with all the Xcode removals. Perhaps you can explain to me why explicitly telling it to use the 10.6 SDK would be a bad idea?

When I have time, I'll give it another shot from a clean slate without that bit in the macports.conf.
(Just for academics sake, and mostly because I have no other ideas.) But I'd be surprised if it worked and linked to the proper System.B.dylib or whatever else.
trojanfoe

Post by trojanfoe »

JoshPettus wrote:Perhaps you can explain to me why explicitly telling it to use the 10.6 SDK would be a bad idea?
It won't cause a problem, it's just unnecessary to keep it about; remember that a framework is capable of holding multiple versions of the .dylib. I think you have done everything you can; perhaps the only option now is to actually build it on a 10.6 system, however there is no guarantee that will run on 10.7+.
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Well I have been slowly updating the app. Cleaning everything up internally, making everything in the help menu work on osx, switching shortcuts from ctrl to meta (Command) to reflect the osx environment, and changed the .conf file to ~/Library/Preferences/Xboard.conf. I included all my code changes as a patch file inside the app bundle under src (partially for my own convenience if nothing else :)).

Unfortunately the app is now 10.9 only due to the fact I don't have 10.6 and my macports trickery was unsuccessful. While I know 10.9 is free, due to arbitrary declared hardware limitations, some early intel adopters couldn't even make the jump to 10.7. If someone with some time and is stuck on 10.6 would like support, I would be happy to guide them to kludge together the app for that system. Most time consuming part would be to setup macports or whatever package managing system you want.

http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewt ... 19&t=52964
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Hey all, I realized that one reason xboard itself didn't work in 10.6 was that even though I compiled the 10.6 version of libraries, i didn't actually compile xboard itself against the 10.6sdk. So hopefully this actually worked

apparently in the LDFLAGS on top of --mmacosx-min-version=10.6 you also have to add --isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk.

Can someone with 10.6-10.8 please test this to see if it works? I can vouch that it works on my system but that doesn't mean much.

This inlcudes polyglot,fruit,fairymax,timeseal,timestamp all located inside the app under /Contents/Resources/bin

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dpl1baoi8ke9d ... .6beta.dmg
Last edited by JoshPettus on Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

[doublepost]
Last edited by JoshPettus on Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
bob

Post by bob »

JoshPettus wrote:Hey all, I realized that one reason xboard itself didn't work in 10.6 was that even though I compiled the 10.6 version of libraries, i didn't actually compile xboard itself against the 10.6sdk. So hopefully this actually worked

apparently in the LDFLAGS on top of --mmacosx-min-version=10.6 you also have to add --isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk.

Can someone with 10.6-10.8 please test this to see if it works? I can vouch that it works on my system but that doesn't mean much.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dpl1baoi8ke9d ... .6beta.dmg
All I have been doing is installing quartz first, and then just the usual make install for xboard and it has worked flawlessly thru mavericks...