Syzygy tablebases, work in Stockfish?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

syzygy

Re: Syzygy tablebases, work in Stockfish?

Post by syzygy »

velmarin wrote:The last position has been placed by Vincent lejeune, corresponds to a real game,
Houdini, Stockfish 4, Bouquet, give feedbacks between + 1.7 to +3,

The image corresponds to Comstock (stockfish with Robbobases) drawish perfectly values​​.

How says Ronald (or I understood) bases the engine works perfect, but the information is internal, the user does not see, he has put some examples with horses and I've tried to run bases.
When this position occurs somewhere in the search tree, the engine will know it is a draw. The engine will never play into this position by accident, thinking it could win it.

The only "problem" there is is a cosmetic one. The moves being played are all fine, but the value reported is not to everybody's taste.
It is what it is.
The source code is available, and you are a programmer, correct?
RJN

Post by RJN »

I'm sure there will be lots of innovative ways to use Syzygy bases, such as different engine settings for analysis vs game play.

I'm really looking forward to the possibilities that will come from the Syzygy base "foundation" that has been laid. I suspect we have so far only glimpsed what can be done with them.
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

syzygy wrote: Also note that my Stockfish tree is experimental and unsupported and primarily intended as a quick hack to show how to integrate the tables and probing code into an engine. Still, I am open to good suggestions.
So says the statement, if Syzygy work in Stockfish,
I've recognized that work, work well. :D
Not that upset you so much. :?

Regarding programmer, I am amateur and bad. But I'll try.
Sure if it was RH, so you would answer.
Corrrect?
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

syzygy wrote:For a position that is won, the DTZ tables are used to filter out those moves that would throw away the win. This takes into account the 50-move rule (and 3-fold repetition: after the first repetition, it just plays according to DTZ).
OK, I think I understand it. You use DTZ + current 50-move counter to decide which positions are still a win. So eventually the 50-move rule kicks in and will force the engine to make progress.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

syzygy wrote:I will soon implement an option to enable the old behaviour for positions that are won.
That sounds good. I know that in Crafty I always had to turn swindle mode off.
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

hgm wrote:The other games can still be won. It would be cosmetically better to let the engine report its 'natural' evaluation score divided by 10 (or even 100).
Divide the score by 20 seems to be a good compromise to me ...
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

velmarin wrote:
syzygy wrote: Also note that my Stockfish tree is experimental and unsupported and primarily intended as a quick hack to show how to integrate the tables and probing code into an engine. Still, I am open to good suggestions.
So says the statement, if Syzygy work in Stockfish,
I've recognized that work, work well. :D
Not that upset you so much. :?

Regarding programmer, I am amateur and bad. But I'll try.
Sure if it was RH, so you would answer.
Corrrect?
I don't know what question I am not answering...
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

hgm wrote:
syzygy wrote:For a position that is won, the DTZ tables are used to filter out those moves that would throw away the win. This takes into account the 50-move rule (and 3-fold repetition: after the first repetition, it just plays according to DTZ).
OK, I think I understand it. You use DTZ + current 50-move counter to decide which positions are still a win. So eventually the 50-move rule kicks in and will force the engine to make progress.
Exactly.

For losing positions I do something similar: if DTZ + current 50-move counter start to approach 50 (the test is something like 2 * DTZ + current 50-move counter >= 50), then the move with max DTZ is played. So if there is no practical chance of a 50-move draw, the losing side will capture a queen when it can, even though a capture is a zeroing move. But if there is a practical chance of a 50-move draw, the losing side will try to avoid moving its pawns.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Yes, I was also wondering what he meant. Maybe a translation problem?
It would be good to post both the original message and the english version, when using google translator.
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

Ozymandias wrote:Yes, I was also wondering what he meant. Maybe a translation problem?
It would be good to post both the original message and the english version, when using google translator.
Solo para ti, Amigo Juan.
Es tan fácil cómo esto, la compilación Stockfish con Syzygy bases de finales es de momento un fiasco, por qué?, es fácil, la información que dá al usuario al menos es totalmente erronea, mejor dicho la información es cero.
La compilación Stockfish con Robbobases dá una información total además de producir al menos el mismo rendimiento.

Parece que ahora hay un método que se llama "estafa", sí estafa, esta escrito bien (estafa, engaño, mentira, sisa, ect) se trata de engañar al rival haciéndole creer que nosotros no sabemos la información, así puede ser que se equivoque, pero si la sabemos, osea le engañamos y así conseguimos ganar el juego ,algo cómo el "misterio de la Santisima Trinidad", tú debes creerlo a pies juntillas.

Este señor Ronald, se burla de mi condición de programador, lo entiendo yo no soy Robert Houdart, cuando el mostró interes por las Syzygys "se le cayo la baba" por no decir otra cosa, de mi se burla, bien por el señor Ronald.

Tenga usted un buen día señor Juan Molina.