New 6-piece tablebases

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ed Trice

Re: New 6-piece tablebases

Post by Ed Trice »

syzygy wrote:I have just released my tablebase generator for up to 6 pieces on github:

For 6 pieces, it requires a system with at least 32 GB of RAM. On my system (6-core i3930K @ 4.2Ghz, 64 GB) all 6-piece tables were generated in less than 5 days.
I recently re-generated my complete 6-piece endgame set on my Intel i7-5960X with 8 cores overclocked to 4.6 GHz and 128 GB of RAM. The entire process, including all lopsided endings of 4 vs. 2 and 5 vs. 1 took only 4 hours.

But it was for checkers, not chess :)
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Ed Trice wrote:
syzygy wrote:I have just released my tablebase generator for up to 6 pieces on github:

For 6 pieces, it requires a system with at least 32 GB of RAM. On my system (6-core i3930K @ 4.2Ghz, 64 GB) all 6-piece tables were generated in less than 5 days.
I recently re-generated my complete 6-piece endgame set on my Intel i7-5960X with 8 cores overclocked to 4.6 GHz and 128 GB of RAM. The entire process, including all lopsided endings of 4 vs. 2 and 5 vs. 1 took only 4 hours.

But it was for checkers, not chess :)
+1 LOL - for what's it's worth, I generated the 6 man syzygy in 2-1/2 days on 12 Core Mac Pro.

The syzygy 6 man EGTB is one of the great contributions to computer chess in the last 4 years . Very much appreciated here - head nod and tip of the hat for a job well done.
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

MikeB wrote:
+1 LOL - for what's it's worth, I generated the 6 man syzygy in 2-1/2 days on 12 Core Mac Pro.

The syzygy 6 man EGTB is one of the great contributions to computer chess in the last 4 years . Very much appreciated here - head nod and tip of the hat for a job well done.
Agree :)

Though I'm curious as I havent touched the files in a good while, is the 4v2 dataset part of the 6men that I host? If not I'd LOVE to have a copy and seed them.

-Josh
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

noobpwnftw wrote:I've tried build EGTB with SSDs some years ago, they worn out soon after a single run. Just don't do it. :P

Nowadays consumer-class servers can have 1TB of memory, I have some spare ones if you want to do a 7-man run. But even if we build it, its hard to distribute and we will end up with some kind of online query and using local WDL tablebases only.
*cough* torrent :) I run a egtb torrent site. Just there hasn't been any 7-man generators that I know about outside of the private one.

I have tons of space and can even seed and torrent it, just need to generate it.

Edit: I'd be interested if it COULD generate 7-men. 1 TB of ram isn't uncommon or super elite anymore. I have 1 machine I could use to help in generating them. I'd of course share. Maybe if the code was able, we could have a distributed team of people who could work in parts, and each one either upload to me or create a torrent and host on the site till a full set it complete.
cdani

Post by cdani »

jshriver wrote: Edit: I'd be interested if it COULD generate 7-men. 1 TB of ram isn't uncommon or super elite anymore. I have 1 machine I could use to help in generating them. I'd of course share. Maybe if the code was able, we could have a distributed team of people who could work in parts, and each one either upload to me or create a torrent and host on the site till a full set it complete.
+1 I'm also interested on 7-men for some research and fun projects. Are there any generators?