On-line blitz tourney March

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Michel

Re: On-line blitz tourney March

Post by Michel »

Sounds very sensible. Unfortunately Jazz supports UCI as well as XBoard, and I don't feel like implementing different ponder functions for the two of them - and UCI has a very narrow idea of what you're supposed to do during a ponder search...
A bit of nitpicking. Strictly speaking UCI does not force you to ponder on the supplied ponder move. It is recommended however not to generate any thinking output if you don't.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

I though about that, but UCI also is not supposed to set you pondering when you did not supply a pondermove whith your bestmove command. Of course the engine is free to ponder anyway, in whatever way it wants, and does not have to wait for 'go-ponder'.
AlvaroBegue
Full name: Álvaro Begué (RuyDos)

Post by AlvaroBegue »

hgm wrote:I though about that, but UCI also is not supposed to set you pondering when you did not supply a pondermove whith your bestmove command. Of course the engine is free to ponder anyway, in whatever way it wants, and does not have to wait for 'go-ponder'.
Yes, those kinds of options are too messy. That's why I prefer to make a mini search and always return a ponder move.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Well, I don't know if it would be messy. If you already have it working in WB protocol, it would be much less messy to let it behave exactly the same in UCI mode. That also means you can do away a number of UCI commands, such as pondermove and go-ponder. That would already be a big improvement.