On-line blitz tourney March

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

vladstamate

Re: On-line blitz tourney March

Post by vladstamate »

Forgive my ignorance, but where can I download latest winboard? I am running 4.4.0 or some version of that. Is there something newer?

I intend to try to participate with my new engine, climber.

Regards,
Vlad.
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

vladstamate wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but where can I download latest winboard? I am running 4.4.0 or some version of that. Is there something newer?

I intend to try to participate with my new engine, climber.

Regards,
Vlad.
Here is the thread at the WB forum that contains the link to the newest version (v4.7.0):

http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewtopic.php?t=51528
vladstamate

Post by vladstamate »

Thank you Adam. That made it all working and I could connect again to HGM's server. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Regards,
Vlad.
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

I am going to try to join in tomorrow, but the schedule may not work for me. If not, I'll try again next time.
Evert

Post by Evert »

jshriver wrote:
Evert wrote: "xboard: Unrecognized argument -zp",
Right click the icon, click Properties and chance -zp to /zp believe "-zp" is strickly Unix/Linux, and /zp is Windows.

Hope that helps.
In fact not, but thanks for the suggestion. I am using Linux.

The problem was that that particular option is that it (seems to depend) on a compile-time option. I recompiled XBoard with something called "zippy" enabled (no idea what it does) and now it works.

The remaining issue is the non-existence of "timeseal", for which there is a binary download from freechess.org. Not too thrilled about installing random things that I can't keep track of through the package manager, but I suppose that if I just dump it in my $HOME/bin directory it doesn't pollute the system too much...
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

'Zippy' is the feature that allows XBoard to connect to ICS and engine at the same time. No idea why it has this silly name.

I thought the default compile would be with zippy code included, but it could be that there are some binary distributions for which the maintainer choose to switch it off.

If you don't put timeseal in a directory that is in your standard search path, be sure to tell XBoard the correct path to it. E,g, if it is in the directory from which you run XBoard, you would have to specify:

-icshelper ./timeseal

It wouldn't make any difference whether you use the syntax -icshelper xxx or /icshelper=xxx (or -icshelper=xxx etc.). Both XBoard and WinBoard will understand both, nowadays (as they use the same code for parsing the options).
Evert

Post by Evert »

hgm wrote:'Zippy' is the feature that allows XBoard to connect to ICS and engine at the same time. No idea why it has this silly name.

I thought the default compile would be with zippy code included, but it could be that there are some binary distributions for which the maintainer choose to switch it off.
Well, my Linux distribution is source-based (gentoo). You specify the options ("use flags") with which the code is to be compiled when installing a package; one of the use flags is "zippy", but it's not enabled by default (no idea why, might be an oversight). Installing with 'USE="zippy" emerge xboard' did the trick.
The latest version in the package manager is 4.6.2; I'll see if I can modify the package for 4.7 (shouldn't be very hard, the question is if it's really needed).
If you don't put timeseal in a directory that is in your standard search path, be sure to tell XBoard the correct path to it.
Sure. $HOME/bin is in my search path though. ;)
Evert

Post by Evert »

Ok, I can connect now (logged in now, in fact). Do you need a registered account to be able to join, or will a guest account do?
I ask because "mam help" returns 'Player mamer isn't listening to unregistered tells'.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

jshriver wrote:Woot saw the post before it was over :) planning to spectate.

I have a couple accounts on there, want me to migrate a couple cores for the event? matmoi for example?

-Josh
Please do! You are of course more than welcome.
vladstamate

Post by vladstamate »

Hi HGM,

Is it possible to get a new account for my new engine, Climber? I would like to keep my previous account for Plisk and have a separate one for Climber.

Thank you,
Vlad.