Need opponents inside the 2300-2400 elo range

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

asanjuan

Re: Need opponents inside the 2300-2400 elo range

Post by asanjuan »

Maybe too strong for rhetoric, but i'll try.
I haven't understood what you mean when you say:
be compatible with both epd or pgn for starting positions.
Some engines doesn't support the position command (or the equivalent in winboard), so it's difficult to test with tem.
Still learning how to play chess...
knigths move in "L" shape ¿right?
asanjuan

Post by asanjuan »

Stockfish, Crafty, and Arasan (among others) have a variable-strength feature. You can try adjusting the strength level until you get a reasonable strength opponent.
I really don't trust in the strenght parameter. I prefer engines that are doing their maximum to have trustable results. I prefer to try the solution of time imbalances as Lucas and Adam had suggested.

But thank you anyway.
asanjuan

Post by asanjuan »

Adam Hair wrote: I do not know which engines in that Elo range are stable at that time control. However, you could try using a shorter time control for those stable but too strong engines. Miguel Ballicora and I use an idea promoted by Don Dailey to test Gaviota. We use stronger engines with shorter time controls to play against the Gaviota betas. This allows for faster testing.

In my case, I set Gaviota's time control to 40/16. Gaviota's opponents include Protector 1.4.0 (40/8 time control), Spark 1.0 (40/4), Critter 1.6a (40/2), and Houdini 2.0c (40/1).

In your case, if you can reduce the time control for those stable engines so that Rhetoric can score at least 15% to 20% against them, then they might be suitable opponents for you and make the testing go faster or allow more games to be played in the same amount of time.

You could use Gaviota in the manner I described as an opponent. I am pretty certain that it would be stable at even 40/1 + 0.01 (Miguel makes stability a focus). If the current version (v0.85.1) was still too strong, you could download an older version from here. A list of various versions of Gaviota and their CCRL 40/4 ratings can be found here.
Very interesting. Lucas suggested the same idea. In this case i can use the same set of opponents and change the time control to fit my needs.
Ok, I'll give it a try.
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

For some reason, I missed the last line in Lucas' post where he suggested using time odds. But I do see that he suggested it first.
jdart

Post by jdart »

My experience is that time imbalance weakens engines only a little. So that is only good for fine adjustment. If you need more than that then an engine with a variable parameter is useful.

--Jon
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

lucasart wrote:

Code: Select all

git clone https:://github.com/lucas/chess.git
cd chess
./make.sh
Have a public area, that git requires a login/pass