Need opponents inside the 2300-2400 elo range

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

asanjuan

Need opponents inside the 2300-2400 elo range

Post by asanjuan »

Hello, I need some engines to test Rhetoric. They must meet some conditions:
- be stable at super fast time control (40/5+0.05) using cutechess-cli. Engines producing time losses will be discarded.
- CCRL elo >= 2300
- CCRL elo <= 2400
- be compatible with both epd or pgn for starting positions.

I only have a dual core, so in order to run enough games, they must be super fast. I downloaded some engines, but they are not very stable at this time control. The stable engines that worked were too strong for me.

Suggestions?
any volunteers?

Regards from spain.
Still learning how to play chess...
knigths move in "L" shape ¿right?
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Re: Need opponents inside the 2300-2400 elo range

Post by lucasart »

What operating system are you using ? (if you use Linux and especially MacOS, it restricts the choice drastically).

You can try mine. Here's how to download and compile it on POSIX systems (assuming g++ and git installed)

Code: Select all

git clone https&#58;&#58;//github.com/lucas/chess.git
cd chess
./make.sh
It is probably too strong for you (probably somewhere in the range 2700-2800). But it is extremely stable and resistent to uber fast time controls. You can really play parallel games in 1"+0.01" without time losses (at some point the time measurement and process switching becomes preponderant though, so there's a limit).

What you can do is use 40/5+0.05 for your engine, and 1+0.01 for mine for example. That means most of your CPU power is spent running your engine, which is more efficient.
Last edited by lucasart on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
asanjuan

Post by asanjuan »

Windows, please. 32 or 64 bit
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

asanjuan wrote:Hello, I need some engines to test Rhetoric. They must meet some conditions:
- be stable at super fast time control (40/5+0.05) using cutechess-cli. Engines producing time losses will be discarded.
- CCRL elo >= 2300
- CCRL elo <= 2400
- be compatible with both epd or pgn for starting positions.

I only have a dual core, so in order to run enough games, they must be super fast. I downloaded some engines, but they are not very stable at this time control. The stable engines that worked were too strong for me.

Suggestions?
any volunteers?

Regards from spain.
I do not know which engines in that Elo range are stable at that time control. However, you could try using a shorter time control for those stable but too strong engines. Miguel Ballicora and I use an idea promoted by Don Dailey to test Gaviota. We use stronger engines with shorter time controls to play against the Gaviota betas. This allows for faster testing.

In my case, I set Gaviota's time control to 40/16. Gaviota's opponents include Protector 1.4.0 (40/8 time control), Spark 1.0 (40/4), Critter 1.6a (40/2), and Houdini 2.0c (40/1).

In your case, if you can reduce the time control for those stable engines so that Rhetoric can score at least 15% to 20% against them, then they might be suitable opponents for you and make the testing go faster or allow more games to be played in the same amount of time.

You could use Gaviota in the manner I described as an opponent. I am pretty certain that it would be stable at even 40/1 + 0.01 (Miguel makes stability a focus). If the current version (v0.85.1) was still too strong, you could download an older version from here. A list of various versions of Gaviota and their CCRL 40/4 ratings can be found here.
Andres Valverde

Post by Andres Valverde »

Hi,

There are 4 "Dirties" , in this CCRL ELO range. Hopefully they will run fine at that TC:

http://www.dirtychess.com

Code: Select all

Dirty ACCA3 2386	
Dirty 0.99 OW5 2379	 	
Dirty 0.99z	 2341	
Dirty 0.99n 2316

Saludos, Andres
jdart

Post by jdart »

Stockfish, Crafty, and Arasan (among others) have a variable-strength feature. You can try adjusting the strength level until you get a reasonable strength opponent.

--Jon
elcabesa

Post by elcabesa »

you can also try my new but still unreleased Vajolet :) it souhld be 240-2500 elo strong and i test it continuosly with cutechesscli with timecontrol set to 6s/game.

I haven't understood what you mean when you say:
be compatible with both epd or pgn for starting positions.

you can use cutechess cli for startposition.
my engine understood uci position command
TonyJH

Post by TonyJH »

You could try TJchess. It's in the 2300-2400 range. I haven't had problems with fast games.
asanjuan

Post by asanjuan »

Good to know that there are so many "dirties". I'll try them.
Thank you Andrés.
PD: In fact I'm searching engines as stable as eveann. ;)
asanjuan

Post by asanjuan »

Downloaded.
Thank you.