Chess-db.com

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

simonhue

Chess-db.com

Post by simonhue »

Hi,

This is a new website I'm working on (Pretty much as a free time hobby):
http://chess-db.com

In this thread I would be interested in your feedback and ideas around it (It's work in progress, so I'm continuously implementing ideas or extending it).

What you can do with it? Well, two main things:
1) To provide custom ranklists (For example - show ranking of all 8 years old players belonging to European federation)
2) To provide tools and statistics for game and tournament preparation against given opponent. You can search for a player from the main page, and see it from there.

Apart from that, I'm experimenting ideas and might also publish useful or interesting tools, one such (which I haven't seen elsewhere on the web) is a tournament result estimator - you enter your elo, and the elo of your opponents, and it will give you % expectation to win the tournament, be in top 10, 20, etc.

P.S. I'm posting this in the programming forum as I'm not a prominent chess player, so my approach to all of the above is rather technical and from computer science PoV.
Adam Hair

Re: Chess-db.com

Post by Adam Hair »

Very interesting. I am not much of a chess player. But if I was and I played in tournaments, I would definitely make use of your site.
diep

Post by diep »

simonhue wrote:Hi,

This is a new website I'm working on (Pretty much as a free time hobby):
http://chess-db.com

In this thread I would be interested in your feedback and ideas around it (It's work in progress, so I'm continuously implementing ideas or extending it).

What you can do with it? Well, two main things:
1) To provide custom ranklists (For example - show ranking of all 8 years old players belonging to European federation)
2) To provide tools and statistics for game and tournament preparation against given opponent. You can search for a player from the main page, and see it from there.

Apart from that, I'm experimenting ideas and might also publish useful or interesting tools, one such (which I haven't seen elsewhere on the web) is a tournament result estimator - you enter your elo, and the elo of your opponents, and it will give you % expectation to win the tournament, be in top 10, 20, etc.

P.S. I'm posting this in the programming forum as I'm not a prominent chess player, so my approach to all of the above is rather technical and from computer science PoV.
A traceroute gives you're in washington DC. Is that correct?
As your English suggests you're from China?
diep

Post by diep »

Domain name: chess-db.com

Registrant Contact:

P. Dobrikov ()

Fax:
Heidelberg
Heidelberg, Baden-Wuertemberg 69126
DE

Administrative Contact:

P. Dobrikov ()
+49.
Fax:
Heidelberg
DE

Technical Contact:

P. Dobrikov ()
+49.
Fax:
Heidelberg
DE

Name Servers:
ns11.eapps.com
ns12.eapps.com
ns13.eapps.com
ns14.eapps.com

Creation date: 18 May 2012 17:19:00
Expiration date: 18 May 2013 09:19:00

Registered under P. Dobrikov, yet posting under Simon Hue and hosted in Washington DC?

What's all this?
GenoM

Post by GenoM »

another mysterious russian
its the long hand of kgb trying to grab talkchess.com
good work Vincent!
:)
take it easy :)
simonhue

Post by simonhue »

:)

I'm not trying to grab anything, just hoping it could be interesting and trigger some feedback, chess and programming related discussions.
jdart

Post by jdart »

I really like http://www.chessgames.com, but they have quite a few games with erroneous scores, wrong dates/players or other errors (most of it isn't their fault, it comes from the data they inputted - I think they got started with the U. of Pittsburgh game archive). And this stuff gets propagated over the web, so there's an accumulation of junk information as more sites copy and pull in poor-quality game info.

If you care about quality then you need to do a lot of work to filter and clean up data, especially if you are pulling it from multiple web sources as seems to be the case here.

--Jon
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

Looks like a very nice tool. Congratulations and good luck.
simonhue

Post by simonhue »

jdart wrote:If you care about quality then you need to do a lot of work to filter and clean up data, especially if you are pulling it from multiple web sources as seems to be the case here.
--Jon
Hi,

Good point. I would need to think more about this, as it doesn't seem to have an easy solution.

Indeed, the statistics are calculated for games pulled from many sources with no good quality review (Except basic algorithmic verification of the games). I would spend some time thinking on how to improve on that, thou I guess I would again rather focus on algorithmic approaches to improving quality of the games.

I guess this problem has no perfect solution as I assume even the highest quality databases rely on 3rd party websites and tournament organizers who publish the games. For top level GM tournaments this is maybe no big issue, but for many other tournaments I have experienced that games are simply entered incorrectly. Even in big forums like EU/World Youth Chess Championships you get games from the official website which contains serious errors - including mistakes (legal, but wrongly entered moves) already in the openings, and up to having several games for a particular player (out of 9 or 11 games for him in total) entered wrongly.