Strongest MPI-capable (cluster) engine?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

ZirconiumX

Strongest MPI-capable (cluster) engine?

Post by ZirconiumX »

I will be getting another RasPi soon. Since RasPi's do not have any way of connecting them as if they were a dual-core computer - I will be using LAM-MPI to connect them over Ethernet.

Since as yet Stockfish etc don't support clustering via MPI - does anyone know of the strongest engine which does?

Scorpio immediately comes to mind, and I think I remember hearing rumours of a ClusterToga.

Matthew:out
Some believe in the almighty dollar.

I believe in the almighty printf statement.
velmarin

Re: Strongest MPI-capable (cluster) engine?

Post by velmarin »

Mattew:

Follow this link if you do not know the forum can entertain,
There have codes.

http://www.computerchess.info/tdbb/phpB ... ?f=9&t=577

Greetings, Chema.
ZirconiumX

Post by ZirconiumX »

Thank you very much for showing me that link - I thought it was buried in the developer's section in the Toga forum.

Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

ZirconiumX wrote:I will be getting another RasPi soon. Since RasPi's do not have any way of connecting them as if they were a dual-core computer - I will be using LAM-MPI to connect them over Ethernet.

Since as yet Stockfish etc don't support clustering via MPI - does anyone know of the strongest engine which does?

Scorpio immediately comes to mind, and I think I remember hearing rumours of a ClusterToga.

Hi Mathew,
Yes both scorpio and Toga work, and DeepSjeng or Rybka if you can get your hands on them. I tested scorpio/toga on smp machines and they showed somewhat good scaling for upto 4 processors but tests on mpi cluster is a complicated matter. Depending on the inter connect you can get pretty low scaling or none at all. One thing 'unique' about scorpio is that if you have 2 quad cores interconnect with infiniband then you can start two processes and 4 threads to use SMP at each node. Most mpi engines I know just start 8 processes per core.
Daniel
ZirconiumX

Post by ZirconiumX »

Cluster Toga - does anyone have a dropbox link that I can easily use wget on?

Scorpio - Asserts and dies. The assertion is on malloc.c line 3096.

diep

Post by diep »

ZirconiumX wrote:I will be getting another RasPi soon. Since RasPi's do not have any way of connecting them as if they were a dual-core computer - I will be using LAM-MPI to connect them over Ethernet.

Diep?
ZirconiumX

Post by ZirconiumX »

Does Diep run on a Raspberry Pi?

I thought not.

mike_bike_kite

Post by mike_bike_kite »

ZirconiumX wrote:I will be getting another RasPi soon. Since RasPi's do not have any way of connecting them as if they were a dual-core computer
I'm still waiting 3 months after ordering mine. At this rate it would take over a year to build a 4 core cluster. Wouldn't you do better just buying an AMD FX-8150 with 8 cores on chip? if you got really bored then you could try clustering those things together. I suspect it would be way cheaper too. I can't decide what to do with my RasPi (assuming they ever send me one) - it might go into an arcade machine I'm building or I might have a go at a touch screen MP3 jukebox for the garage.
ZirconiumX

Post by ZirconiumX »

mike_bike_kite wrote:
ZirconiumX wrote:I will be getting another RasPi soon. Since RasPi's do not have any way of connecting them as if they were a dual-core computer
I'm still waiting 3 months after ordering mine. At this rate it would take over a year to build a 4 core cluster. Wouldn't you do better just buying an AMD FX-8150 with 8 cores on chip? if you got really bored then you could try clustering those things together. I suspect it would be way cheaper too. I can't decide what to do with my RasPi (assuming they ever send me one) - it might go into an arcade machine I'm building or I might have a go at a touch screen MP3 jukebox for the garage.
Who are you ordering from? Farnell are pretty nippy - I got my second Pi yesterday.

You go and order your AMD. And your motherboard. And your heatsink. Etc.

I'm pretty sure the Pi is cheaper.

Isn't Bulldozer terrible at chess?

mike_bike_kite

Post by mike_bike_kite »

ZirconiumX wrote:Who are you ordering from? Farnell are pretty nippy - I got my second Pi yesterday.
I ordered mine through RS Online on May 6th. I get occasional emails to offer apologies etc. I'd prefer to have the item though.
ZirconiumX wrote:You go and order your AMD. And your motherboard. And your heatsink. Etc.

I'm pretty sure the Pi is cheaper.
About £150 for the processor, £100 for the motherboard, £40 for 4GB RAM and a fan £20 = £310 for 8 cores running at nearly 4Ghz with 4GB RAM. 8 Raspberry Pi's will cost approx £160 which is definitely cheaper but then your 8 "cores" will only be running at 0.7Ghz with 256MB RAM.
ZirconiumX wrote:Isn't Bulldozer terrible at chess?
I honestly don't know - I'd assume having 8 integer cores would be ok (assuming your program could use them) but perhaps it's an issue with the lack of L3 Cache - don't know. I'm guessing that if you just wanted a strong chess playing machine that sticking the current best program on any modern processor would be more than enough.

Is the RasPi supposed to be making a name for itself in the chess arena then ;)

Mike