What is your favourite IDE?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Kempelen

What is your favourite IDE?

Post by Kempelen »

Hi,

I have been developing with Codeblocks+mingw for a long time and am looking into another IDE, just for alternatives because I am a little exhausted of it and the fact that release updates take years to appear. What are your recomendation? what is your environment and how do you configure it?

I have installed Dev++ but althought in help does not show last update date, it seems is discontinued for a long time....

regards.
Fermin Serrano
Author of 'Rodin' engine
http://sites.google.com/site/clonfsp/
velmarin

Re: What is your favourite IDE?

Post by velmarin »

Dev_C++
http://orwelldevcpp.blogspot.com.es/
Relase:
Saturday, June 23, 2012
Dev-C++ 5.2.0.3 Released

Changes - Version 5.2.0.3 - 23 Juni 2012

Code: Select all

Fixed the function argument tip not selecting the function with the right number of arguments first.
Fixed that tip showing in various wrong places.
Added x86 GDB executables to TDM-GCC x64.
Tooltip balloons are now only triggered by words with identifier colors, saving lots of CPU time.
Adding watch variables by hovering over words now only adds words with identifier colors.
Pressing Alt now does not cause static controls to vanish anymore.
This version should scale pictures better on high DPI settings.
Moved to a new selection of built in compiler options.
Added filename tooltips when hovering above tabs.
Closing using the middle mouse button is now only triggered when the mouse is hovering above a tab.
Moved to a new selection of built in compiler options.
Updated the chinese (TC) translations (by cin.getline).
Fixed editor options not applying function tip timer settings properly, causing crashes when typing.
Updated the greek translations (by migf1).
Various dialogs and buttons are now more spacious, allowing longer translations.
Double clicking on errors now always correctly shows the caret.

Fermin si no conoces este MOD, en español y con el ultimo MinGW64 instalado.
Saludos.
Codesquid

Post by Codesquid »

Qtcreator. Other than its name might suggest, it supports non-Qt programs as well.
nanos gigantium humeris insidentes
pocopito

Post by pocopito »

Codesquid wrote:Qtcreator. Other than its name might suggest, it supports non-Qt programs as well.
+1

At first I thougt it should be linked to qt related projects, but it's a really nice IDE for C/C++ projects.
Two first meanings of the dutch word "leren":
1. leren [vc] (learn, larn, acquire) acquire or gain knowledge or skills.
2. leren [v] (teach, learn, instruct) impart skills or knowledge to.
Dan Honeycutt

Post by Dan Honeycutt »

I've become rather fond of Netbeans for Java. When debugging, if you mouse over or highlight a variable it will tell you the value as you'd expect. However, it will also give you the return values of functions that haven't been called. I've wondered how it does that. I assume it calls the function but then it has to remember that the function has been called in case the function is counting with a static variable or such.

Best
Dan H.
jdart

Post by jdart »

What is this IDE of which you speak? Most of my coding is done with emacs and the command line compiler. I occasionally do some debugging with Visual C++. If you want free, or are on Linux/Mac, Eclipse is not bad.

--Jon
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

Visual Studio because of its debugging capabilities. It's also lightweight, which is somewhat uncommon for Micro$oft products. Eclipse seemed too "fat" to me (took very long to load). I prefer VS over XCode (which has excellent profiling tools btw.), dev-cpp (already dead?) and KDevelop (haven't used it much though so can't judge). I can't say much about Code:Blocks as I never used it much (what I liked about it is that it was compiling object files to different directories, so having a source file with same name was no problem).
Same for Qtcreator, never used it. What I don't like about Qt (assuming I understand how it works) is that it's heavyweight IMHO, linking 16-meg dll is not really cool, especially if you're building a one-dialog GUI application. Not sure if linking against Qt is mandatory though. Also I didn't like their meta-compiler being run as a pre-build step (again - can't judge).
Back to VS: I am using Very sleepy http://www.codersnotes.com/sleepy/ for profiling under Windows (open source profiler), it works like a charm. Noone really needs stupid MFC so VS Express is a good choice IMHO.
Considering GUI development, I believe wxWidgets (despite many bugs) would be a good choice. It's cross-platform and lightweight (not sure about Linux but GTK+ totally sucks under Windows).
Of course there are hardcore guys who use text editors to code. The only problem is debugging. I don't think that GDB is a good choice considering user-friendliness. Of course unless you like command-line tools and terminals :)

Martin
Codesquid

Post by Codesquid »

mar wrote:Noone really needs stupid MFC so VS Express is a good choice IMHO.
In the new Visual Studio 2012, all the Express edition can do is to create Metro apps. Unsuitable for chess engine programming I think.
nanos gigantium humeris insidentes
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

Codesquid wrote: In the new Visual Studio 2012, all the Express edition can do is to create Metro apps. Unsuitable for chess engine programming I think.
Too bad. I'm using VS2008. The only hope is that the old download still works. Never upgraded to VS2010 as I didn't like it (along with its interface).
kbhearn

Post by kbhearn »

the windows side of qt creator is less than thrilling atm though. they don't allow mingw64 toolchain to be used with the default compile, if you want to use mingw64, you need to recompile the thing yourself - i've been too lazy and have just worked in linux instead. I believe they're fixing this with the next major QtCreator release, but for the moment unless you want to go through a fair bit of work yourself you're stuck with mingw32, and by default gcc4.4 (the version packaged with the SDK). On the linux side though, i wholeheartedly agree, QtCreator is a wonderful IDE.