What is your favourite IDE?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Evert

Re: What is your favourite IDE?

Post by Evert »

Kempelen wrote:what is your environment and how do you configure it?
Vim, combined with a terminal window and make.
Kempelen

Post by Kempelen »

mar wrote:Visual Studio because of its debugging capabilities. It's also lightweight, which is somewhat uncommon for Micro$oft products.
Hello Martin,
How many space does VS need? does it work like an standalone installation (I mean, MS product always use a lot of MS stuff like registry an so on)? can you carry in a pen-drive an install withour problems?
Fermin Serrano
Author of 'Rodin' engine
http://sites.google.com/site/clonfsp/
ZirconiumX

Post by ZirconiumX »

Evert wrote:
+1

Never underestimate the power of simplicity.

Matthew:out
Some believe in the almighty dollar.

I believe in the almighty printf statement.
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

Kempelen wrote: Hello Martin,
How many space does VS need? does it work like an standalone installation (I mean, MS product always use a lot of MS stuff like registry an so on)? can you carry in a pen-drive an install withour problems?
Hi Fermin,
Well my installation of VS2008 is about 200MB, Platform SDK is about 500MB.
Hard to say what else is needed, perhaps a minimal installation would be much smaller (I think I did a full install). It loads and opens a project of mine within a second here (2G RAM). Memory usage while debugging a simple project is about 90Megs, which is not bad, considering that some instances of chrome can go way above 100M (not that i would blame chrome for that :)
From what I have read I don't think you will succeed installing on a portable drive but you may give it a try.
By lightweight I meant that the GUI is simple and the IDE loads fast. Memory requirements are reasonable too. Also MS improved their compilers a lot over time and they are fast and reliable (unlike old VC6) now and produce very good code. Debugging is also fast and comfortable, which is the primary reason for why i prefer VS over other IDEs. Try to debug a larger project with comandline tools...:) It's not impossible but I think you get the point.
Watches understand stl containers/iterators so debugging vectors/maps is really simple (If you ever tried to debug stlport containers you know what I mean).
Note that I am not advertising VS, just sharing my experience with it, which is very good so far.
And for source control I would recommend git as it really rocks, it pays off even locally without remote repository because of branches. These are lighting fast in git.

Martin
jdart

Re: Very Sleepy

Post by jdart »

mar wrote:I am using Very sleepy http://www.codersnotes.com/sleepy/ for profiling under Windows (open source profiler), it works like a charm.
That is a nice tool! Thanks for mentioning it.

--Jon
xsadar
Full name: Mike Leany

Post by xsadar »

Evert wrote:
Pretty close to what I was going to say. Bash (usually within gnome-terminal) would be my IDE; vim, make, and gdb are just a few of the many tools I make use of within it. Of course it could be argued that my development environment is not truly integrated and thus is not an IDE in the true sense of the word, but it is functionally equivalent.
Don

Post by Don »

xsadar wrote:
Evert wrote:
Pretty close to what I was going to say. Bash (usually within gnome-terminal) would be my IDE; vim, make, and gdb are just a few of the many tools I make use of within it. Of course it could be argued that my development environment is not truly integrated and thus is not an IDE in the true sense of the word, but it is functionally equivalent.
Those fancy IDE's are for sissies. I use bash, make, gcc, gdb and the emacs operating system :-)

Don
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
Ron Murawski

Post by Ron Murawski »

Qt Creator IDE on Linux is great for developing new code. It's plenty fast with lots of helpful options. If you type a function name and an opening parenthesis, it pops up the function params; it can even drill down into the GCC library calls. I sometimes forget the param order for some of the lesser-used functions, so this is a very helpful feature for me. By default it uses its own 'qmake' build tool, but it can be configured to use 'cmake' instead. On Windows it uses the Microsoft compiler and I have no experience using it there.

For maintaining existing code I prefer NetBeans C/C++. The refactoring tools are excellent. Older NetBeans had such a slow IDE as to make it almost unusable. The new 7.2 version has increased the speed just enough so response time is now acceptable. NetBeans has better cross-platform support for GCC than Qt Creator and uses standard 'make' (even on Windows). NetBeans is also a good choice if you are developing code with other programmers -- it has unexpected features like: project-wide chat to other team members and integration with Jira or BugZilla bug trackers.

I sometimes use both IDEs on the same codebase. It depends on what I'm doing that day -- new development or refactoring.

For small one-file, one-time projects it is hard to beat the Geany editor (lightweight IDE).
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

Don wrote: Those fancy IDE's are for sissies. I use bash, make, gcc, gdb and the emacs operating system :-)

Don
And I thought real programmers use punch cards ;)

Martin
Rein Halbersma

Post by Rein Halbersma »

On Windows, I use Visual C++ 2010 Express. The Intellisense database will sometimes do a lot of heavy index-updating, but the overall experience is very good: good debugger, code completion and some nice C++11 features (auto, lambda, move semantics).

On Linux, I use Eclipse/CDT + both g++ and Intel compilers. Been wanting to experiment with Clang. Compared to Visual Studio, the g++ compiler is a lot stricter with template-heavy code so it's really necessary to compile code with both compilers to assure platform independence.
I can't say much about Code:Blocks as I never used it much (what I liked about it is that it was compiling object files to different directories, so having a source file with same name was no problem).
You can do the same in Visual Studio with C++ -> Outputfiles -> Object file -> %(RelativeDir), which will put the object files in a directory tree mirroring your source tree.