Operating System

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Which OS do you use ?

Windows
48%
Mac OS
13%
Linux
39%

Total votes: 95

lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Operating System

Post by lucasart »

I know there is a selection biais in asking this question here, but just wondering what fellow chess programmers use
lucasart

Re: Operating System

Post by lucasart »

If you use several of them (on different computers or on the same one through dual boot), just select your favorite one.
rbarreira

Post by rbarreira »

These days, about the only reason I reboot from Linux to Windows is to play games.
lucasart

Post by lucasart »

rbarreira wrote:These days, about the only reason I reboot from Linux to Windows is to play games.
Makes sense. Unfortunately installing Windows games and getting them to work with Wine under Linux is a real nightmare. And Wine is only 32 bit, been waiting for 64 bit Wine for years, but the project seems somewhat stalled.
I don't play games (except chess), so I don't dual boot anymore. I have a Lubuntu 12.04 on my laptop and a Fedora on my desktop PC.
diep

Post by diep »

i voted linux
jdart

Post by jdart »

All of the above?

My primary dev machine is still Windows but most of my testing is on Linux now (sometimes I develop there too). I also have a port to Mac OS but that's not where I spend most of my dev time.

--Jon
diep

Post by diep »

OS/x is too amateuristic. You know select 2 items, click right mouse button to copy it. OOPS it unselected it already, won't work!

I have a TFT attached to this laptop. The menu in os/x is on the laptop and the application on the huge TFT. Very inefficient!

os/x doesn't get through any ergonomic guide line. it should be fined if you ask me for that reason.

This macbookpro 17'' still has dual boot linux + os/x on it, but i intend to soon reformat that to linux as well if i know how to also port my mailbox.

Too many annoying bugs in os/x meanwhile all sorts of software soon doesn't work as every few months there is a 'new version' and their development tools only work always for the 'latest' version of os/x. Very mean way of doing business.

Even windoze has a slower payment cycle than apple has.

It's very annoying.

Also it's nowadays getting hacked as if it's a drive-in. Nothing helps there.
Good security is of course the first thing you need, the rest is secondary.

Linux is not perfect there. It needs lots of modifications each kernel and lots of services kicked out to just have it run stable without getting hacked.

Half a year ago for a number of weeks i got massively attacked full scale seemingly from Brazil. They were trying to get through my linux firewall machine. Which is a dirt old box with a stripped linux kernel, no SSH of course, as that would be too easy to crack when there is a port opened of that box.

Not sure whether they succeeded, but
I don't see any windows nor apple nor $30 router ever withstand that even for a second.
jdart

Post by jdart »

I think the Mac OS interface is fine myself, although if you have not been a Mac user the 1-button mouse takes some getting used to. My biggest beef with it as a programmer is that they've incompletely implemented POSIX function calls - in particular Mac OS semaphores (no unnamed semaphores, and no timed wait function is supported).

--Jon
Don

Post by Don »

lucasart wrote:
rbarreira wrote:These days, about the only reason I reboot from Linux to Windows is to play games.
Makes sense. Unfortunately installing Windows games and getting them to work with Wine under Linux is a real nightmare. And Wine is only 32 bit, been waiting for 64 bit Wine for years, but the project seems somewhat stalled.
I don't play games (except chess), so I don't dual boot anymore. I have a Lubuntu 12.04 on my laptop and a Fedora on my desktop PC.
64 bit wine has been available for some time. But just recently it has become part of the major distributions - so it just works. I run 64 bit windows chess program from Linux and they run faster than on Windows!

Don
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
marcelk

Post by marcelk »

lucasart wrote:I know there is a selection biais in asking this question here, but just wondering what fellow chess programmers use
MacOS (Intel) for daily use and development. I'm stuck at 10.6 because I still use some software from the PowerPC era (most notably Excel). For the next macbook I will buy that again.

Linux for the number crunching PCs. Ubuntu 10.04, which I selected for easy installation, but otherwise I don't like it. The 'look' command is broken, which I use for selecting the opening move, and 'Auto eth0' isn't auto at all. It disconnects all the time and doesn't reconnect by itself.

FreeBSD for the machine that plays on FICS and ICC and expands the opening book in the background, because to combine those tasks I need 'idprio' and Linux doesn't have that.

The Ubuntu system is also what I use for tournaments with manual operation, because I couldn't bother to figure out to get a decent user interface on the FreeBSD machine (it looked like 1991 at first attempt and then I gave up). Ubuntu's Xboard crashes if you resize some of the windows though. The solution is not to do that.

I like the Mac best of these. It is the best Unix and doesn't cost me time.