Operating System

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Which OS do you use ?

Windows
48%
Mac OS
13%
Linux
39%

Total votes: 95

marcelk

Re: Operating System

Post by marcelk »

lucasart wrote:
lucasart wrote:I know there is a selection biais in asking this question here, but just wondering what fellow chess programmers use
I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised by the result of this poll. There are a lot more Linux users, than people generally imagine. Of course the popouation in this forum is mostly power users, and in a noob forum the result would be much more skewed towards Windows, but still, I didn't think Linux adoption would be that high, even here.
It would be nice if the rating lists start to accept Linux engines.
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

marcelk wrote:
lucasart wrote:
lucasart wrote:I know there is a selection biais in asking this question here, but just wondering what fellow chess programmers use
I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised by the result of this poll. There are a lot more Linux users, than people generally imagine. Of course the popouation in this forum is mostly power users, and in a noob forum the result would be much more skewed towards Windows, but still, I didn't think Linux adoption would be that high, even here.
It would be nice if the rating lists start to accept Linux engines.
mine does, all games played with linux x86_64 compiles on my machine
http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... rce+bullet
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

..using ubuntu since 5.04 and running 32 bit wine.

GPGPU on linux is fine. Some Profile-Tools are only available for Windows, but there are command line tools available for linux.

--
Srdja
stevemulligan

Post by stevemulligan »

My engine is c# so I had to choose windows.

I constantly have putty open on a ubuntu machine though. I've complained to Microsoft about the horrible "console" or dos prompt thing they have. I really want an ssh client and a console with normal select/copy/paste behaviour on a basic install. I'd also prefer they add basic linux filesystem commands so I could type ls instead of dir without having to install cygwin or something like that.
Don

Post by Don »

stevemulligan wrote:My engine is c# so I had to choose windows.

I constantly have putty open on a ubuntu machine though. I've complained to Microsoft about the horrible "console" or dos prompt thing they have. I really want an ssh client and a console with normal select/copy/paste behaviour on a basic install. I'd also prefer they add basic linux filesystem commands so I could type ls instead of dir without having to install cygwin or something like that.
You can develop C# programs in Linux - it's called "mono" and it's completely compatible.

Don
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
Jan Brouwer

Post by Jan Brouwer »

After my trusty old Windows XP laptop finally died end last year, I decided to try the 13" MacBook Air. I must admit that I had a few WTF moments trying to operate Xcode, but it has now grown on me a bit.
I really like the trackpad, it is a joy to use, I have yet to connect a mouse for the first time.
What I miss most from Windows XP is the file explorer...

Jan
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

Yes, nothing beats the GNU Bourne Again SHell. It's a beast!!!!
To give you an idea, I once afound a chess program entirely written in shell! It was not strong and extremely barebone search, but try to do that in DOS with a *.bat file...
Don

Post by Don »

lucasart wrote:

To give you an idea, I once afound a chess program entirely written in shell! It was not strong and extremely barebone search, but try to do that in DOS with a *.bat file...
Windows has powershell (I think that is what it is called) but I don't know much about it.

cmd.exe is absolutely horrific. You would think after all these years it would be significantly improved. After trying to do some simple stuff in the console I want to beat my brains against the wall.
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
Rein Halbersma

Post by Rein Halbersma »

lucasart wrote: Yes, nothing beats the GNU Bourne Again SHell. It's a beast!!!!
If you really are into shell programming, try out the Z shell: http://zsh.sourceforge.net/Guide/zshguide01.html#l1
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

lucasart wrote:

Somebody at least attempted it:

http://www.rohitab.com/discuss/topic/10 ... hess-game/