Will Winboard be as easy as Arena to install engines ?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

pichy

Will Winboard be as easy as Arena to install engines ?

Post by pichy »

To me Winboard has an old way of installing programs just like comparing DOS to Windows. After all these years making different versions of Winboards why it could not be as easy as Arena to install and configure Engines?
Adam Hair

Re: Will Winboard be as easy as Arena to install engines ?

Post by Adam Hair »

pichy wrote:To me Winboard has an old way of installing programs just like comparing DOS to Windows. After all these years making different versions of Winboards why it could not be as easy as Arena to install and configure Engines?
For newer versions of Winboard with the tournament manager built in, it is about as simple as Arena to install and configure engines. It was not necessarily hard before. It just required more work from the user.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

pichy wrote:To me Winboard has an old way of installing programs just like comparing DOS to Windows. After all these years making different versions of Winboards why it could not be as easy as Arena to install and configure Engines?
What in the WinBoard engine install dialog shown below makes it more difficult / more DOS-like to operate for you than Arena?

Or for XBoard:

PK

Post by PK »

I'm very happy to see new engine installation dialog :) Ability to use UCI engines, though not exactly a recent news, is also nice.

One more question: is there a way to use UCI options dialog with WinBoard or a WinBoard protocol equivalent?
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

PK wrote:I'm very happy to see new engine installation dialog :) Ability to use UCI engines, though not exactly a recent news, is also nice.

One more question: is there a way to use UCI options dialog with WinBoard or a WinBoard protocol equivalent?

Hello Pawel,

Once the desired UCI engine is loaded, select Engine #1/Engine #2 settings.

That should get you the dialogue with all the settings to tweak.

There is a common engine settings under Options for globally setting EGTB path, hash size and book usage.

I hope that this helps.

Later.
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

hgm wrote: What in the WinBoard engine install dialog shown below makes it more difficult / more DOS-like to operate for you than Arena?

Hello H.G.,

Perhaps he is not using a recent Winboard version or, as has happened more than once, perhaps he does not use Winboard at all but still criticises it...

Later.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

[quote="PK"One more question: is there a way to use UCI options dialog with WinBoard or a WinBoard protocol equivalent?[/quote]

Of course! For many, many years already (since 2007 ?). E.g. for Stockfish:

pichy

Post by pichy »

Roger Brown wrote:
hgm wrote: What in the WinBoard engine install dialog shown below makes it more difficult / more DOS-like to operate for you than Arena?

Hello H.G.,

Perhaps he is not using a recent Winboard version or, as has happened more than once, perhaps he does not use Winboard at all but still criticises it...

Later.
You are correct the last Winboard version that I installed was from 2006 :roll: :lol: :roll:
stevenaaus

Post by stevenaaus »

hgm wrote: Or for XBoard:
I wonder is XBoard is the only currently maintained software that still uses the old X style scrollbars.

Using them makes me laugh a little, remembering my first Linux experiences, and thinking wtf these scrollbars did! If you don't have a 3 button mouse (which i didnt), you are particularly stuffed :)
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

pichy wrote:
Roger Brown wrote:

Hello H.G.,

Later.
You are correct the last Winboard version that I installed was from 2006 :roll: :lol: :roll:

Hello Jorge,

2006?

That version is worse than archaic.

Please try the latest model.

The changes between that one and the 2006 (?) model are far too many to list here.

Later.