Opinion poll for experienced chess programmers

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Rebel

Opinion poll for experienced chess programmers

Post by Rebel »

For experienced chess programmers only, I like to snoop some 5-10 minutes of your time by submitting your remembrance what you considered essential in your EVAL in the 2005-2006 area, via the link:

http://www.top-5000.nl/eval_quest.htm

Background: Mark Watkins document COMP_EVAL compares the EVAL features of Fruit and Rybka with a number of open sources. One point of criticism is of course the elo gap between Fruit and Rybka with the open source engines and another valid point is the lack of volume of engines.

This poll can change that.

Thanks in advance for your contributions.

Ed
diep

Re: Opinion poll for experienced chess programmers

Post by diep »

Rebel wrote:For experienced chess programmers only, I like to snoop some 5-10 minutes of your time by submitting your remembrance what you considered essential in your EVAL in the 2005-2006 area, via the link:

Background: Mark Watkins document COMP_EVAL compares the EVAL features of Fruit and Rybka with a number of open sources. One point of criticism is of course the elo gap between Fruit and Rybka with the open source engines and another valid point is the lack of volume of engines.

Ed
No comments.
bob

Post by bob »

Rebel wrote:For experienced chess programmers only, I like to snoop some 5-10 minutes of your time by submitting your remembrance what you considered essential in your EVAL in the 2005-2006 area, via the link:

Ed
I answered, but note that your question is not exactly on point. Mark's paper doesn't just consider which terms are common to both Fruit and Rybka, but the methodology behind those terms as well. There are lots of ways to evaluate backward pawns, for example, so just asking "did you do backward pawns" is not exactly revealing. More interesting would be the details each used in those terms. Because that is where the eerily similar approaches are important in the Fruit/Rybka stuff Mark did. His "100% match" for a term did not mean "both do this". It mjeant "both do this using the same conditions and adjusting the score in the same way...
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Thank you for your contributions. I got 7 in a couple of hours, thereafter for some reason the script stopped working and contributions did not reached my mailbox any longer. A 3 hour online chat with my provider did not bring a solution so the page lost its meaning.
bob

Post by bob »

Rebel wrote:Thank you for your contributions. I got 7 in a couple of hours, thereafter for some reason the script stopped working and contributions did not reached my mailbox any longer. A 3 hour online chat with my provider did not bring a solution so the page lost its meaning.
Those conversations usually go:

(1) reboot your cable modem / DSL modem

(2) reboot your router

(3) reboot your PC

(4) Hold until I can get someone in technical support to talk with you.

(5) go to (1)

:)
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

They really really tried. But instead of saying "sorry, we can't help you right now" they could not resist to blame it on me in the end :wink:
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

Is this why Fabien stopped working on Fruit? I have fond memories of when it was announced here and all the buzz and enjoyment many people had; myself included. Definitely left a soft spot in my heart.

I wasn't around when the Fruit-Rybka debate went haywire.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

I don't why Fabien stopped working on Fruit in 2006/7. But the poll is indeed about the R/F controversy. Speaking about the poll, my provider apparently (silently) fixed the problem after all, the script is alive and kicking again. Received 3 new contributions. Thanks.
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Post by JuLieN »

jshriver wrote:Is this why Fabien stopped working on Fruit? I have fond memories of when it was announced here and all the buzz and enjoyment many people had; myself included. Definitely left a soft spot in my heart.

I wasn't around when the Fruit-Rybka debate went haywire.
AFAIK, he stopped working on Fruit because he had started a new chess project: Chess64, a new program that would have been much stronger... And then nothing... Has anyone heard something new about Chess64 or did Fabien totally left the computer chess scene?
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]