futility pruining, razoring question

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

elcabesa

futility pruining, razoring question

Post by elcabesa »

I was trying to implement some new feature inside my engine and I can't make futility and razoring work inside my engine.

Today I have noticed that Cheng engine does futility and razoring only inside Null Windows search, is this approach correct??
bob

Re: futility pruining, razoring question

Post by bob »

elcabesa wrote:I was trying to implement some new feature inside my engine and I can't make futility and razoring work inside my engine.

Today I have noticed that Cheng engine does futility and razoring only inside Null Windows search, is this approach correct??
It should work everywhere if it works anywhere. You might tune/refine it later, but it should work everywhere and produce an improvement, unless you have other issues...
Karlo Bala
Full name: Karlo Balla

Post by Karlo Bala »

bob wrote:
elcabesa wrote:I was trying to implement some new feature inside my engine and I can't make futility and razoring work inside my engine.

It should work everywhere if it works anywhere. You might tune/refine it later, but it should work everywhere and produce an improvement, unless you have other issues...
What are your latest findings about the futility and/or razoring?
Best Regards,
Karlo Balla Jr.
diep

Post by diep »

bob wrote:

You're razoring the mainline nowadays?

That'll get you quickly to 100 ply search depth i bet :)

p.s. if you razor at random, can you claim then having added MonteCarlo+UCT to your program in an 'optimized manner'?
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

here's my razoring code. it's a little uncommon as I reduce instead of pruning (and prune when horizon reached). but this seems to work much better than pruning

razor parameters

Code: Select all

const bool UseRazoring = true;
static const int RazorDepth = 3;
static inline int RazorMargin(int depth) {
	assert&#40;1 <= depth && depth <= RazorDepth&#41;;
	return 2*MP + &#40;depth-1&#41;*MP/4;
&#125;
MP is the value of a pawn in the middlegame. the RazorMargin formula is just a guess (no optimization done). And given that constraint, it appeared that RazorDepth == 3 was best.

in the main search

// Razoring
	if &#40;UseRazoring && depth <= RazorDepth
		&& !is_pv && !is_mate_score&#40;beta&#41; && !in_check&#41;
	&#123;
		if &#40;current_eval + RazorMargin&#40;depth&#41; <= alpha&#41; &#123;
			const int score = qsearch&#40;B, alpha, beta, 0, ply+1, is_pv, si+1&#41;;
			if &#40;score <= alpha && --depth <= 0&#41;
				return score;
		&#125;
	&#125;
as for futility pruning, I don't think what I do is really good. I need to do more experiment on it.
Last edited by lucasart on Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

Yes it's true. Note that I recently fixed a bug in razoring. For no elo gain as usual of course. qsearch alpha-razormargin, beta-razormargin then compare to beta-razormargin is correct (fixed tactical blindness in some testpositions).
Honestly cheng is NOT a good reference of how things should be done (bugs, source not readable) but in general you don't want to do futility/nullmove in PV nodes. I also recently removed upper/lower (alpha/beta) TT pruning in PV nodes. Null window search in cheng => non-PV => All/Cut nodes.
mar

Post by mar »

PS I believe this (common?) razoring mistake (scouting around alpha instead of alpha-razormargin) comes from chessprogramming wiki and should be fixed. When I think about it it doesn't make sense. First compare eval to beta-margin then scout around alpha?!!
Why no elo gain (for me at least) => I guess because fixing it will razor much less nodes. Btw. I certainly wouldn't want to analyse a position with this bug :)
mar

Post by mar »

As for futility: never had problem with that and seems pretty stable.
Futility simply prunes (ignores) certain moves at nodes where eval+margin is below beta in scout search.
In general:
-never do futility when evading a check
-don't skip potentially good/dangerous moves: hashmove, captures, promotions, castling, checks, killers and in general any moves you want to extend
perhaps good history moves shouldn't be skipped as well but i don't do that in cheng; i also don't prune passer pushes

PS hashmove, captures, castling and killers boil down to "do futility after the killers phase in movegen"
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

Well, clearly razoring has no sense in PV (even theoretically) . Near leaves of PV you expect value to be above alpha, and in case you find a fail low at next iteration you really don't want to find it through razoring. But I suspect Bob was referring to something else than all of us: normally I use chessprogramming as a name reference, but I think he is using other references and probably with 'razoring' he is referring to forward pruning or something like that.

Regarding Luca's code I find this:

a really optimistic assumption, normally you want to verify with a reduced margin, not with alpha. If this was also in your original code, perhaps could be a reason why it didn't work for you and so you switched to a kind of reduction instead of pruning.
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

mcostalba wrote:Well, clearly razoring has no sense in PV (even theoretically) . Near leaves of PV you expect value to be above alpha, and in case you find a fail low at next iteration you really don't want to find it through razoring. But I suspect Bob was referring to something else than all of us: normally I use chessprogramming as a name reference, but I think he is using other references and probably with 'razoring' he is referring to forward pruning or something like that.

Regarding Luca's code I find this:

a really optimistic assumption, normally you want to verify with a reduced margin, not with alpha. If this was also in your original code, perhaps could be a reason why it didn't work for you and so you switched to a kind of reduction instead of pruning.
You're right. As pointed out by Martin, I got fooled by the chess programming wiki :wink:
I'm currently testing this alternative:

if &#40;UseRazoring && depth <= RazorDepth
		&& !is_pv && !is_mate_score&#40;beta&#41; && !in_check&#41;
	&#123;
		if &#40;current_eval + RazorMargin&#40;depth&#41; <= alpha&#41; &#123;
			if &#40;score + RazorMargin&#40;depth&#41; <= alpha&#41;	//**
				return score;
		&#125;
	&#125;
I've just ran 1000 games in 6"+0.1", and it scored 52% against my previous code. Thanks for the tip!