Crafty logfile

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Crafty logfile

Post by lucasart »

How do I get Crafty (v 23.4) to *not* spue out tons of games.xxx and log.xxx files ? Is there a command line flag to disable this annoying behaviour, or a xboard option ?
Roger Brown

Re: Crafty logfile

Post by Roger Brown »

lucasart wrote:How do I get Crafty (v 23.4) to *not* spue out tons of games.xxx and log.xxx files ? Is there a command line flag to disable this annoying behaviour, or a xboard option ?

Hello Lucas,

In the Crafty rc file try log off.

Later.
micron

Post by micron »

Or send
log off
as the first command after Crafty is started.
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

Roger Brown wrote:
lucasart wrote:How do I get Crafty (v 23.4) to *not* spue out tons of games.xxx and log.xxx files ? Is there a command line flag to disable this annoying behaviour, or a xboard option ?

Hello Lucas,

Later.
do you mean to say i should create a file called .craftyrc in the current directory (or in the directroty of the crafty executable?) and write a single line "log off" in it ?
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

lucasart wrote:
Roger Brown wrote:

Hello Lucas,

Later.
do you mean to say i should create a file called .craftyrc in the current directory (or in the directroty of the crafty executable?) and write a single line "log off" in it ?

Hello Lucas,

There are various ways to pass commands to Crafty.

The rc file is one way. I am unsure about the naming conventions in Linux but in Windows my rc file - which I open using a text editor - is called crafty so your example should work.

Xboard can also pass commands in the command line to Crafty.

Or the command can be typed directly in Crafty.

To have the log off command persist the rc option might be easiest.

Later.
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Post by Sven »

Roger Brown wrote:I am unsure about the naming conventions in Linux but in Windows my rc file - which I open using a text editor - is called crafty
Hi Roger,

just to clarify the naming and search path for the Crafty RC file:

On UNIX platforms (e.g. Linux) Crafty will search for a file named ".craftyrc" in the following directories, using the first location where it is found:
- current working directory,
- the user's home directory as defined in the passwd database.

On non-UNIX platforms Crafty will search for a file named "crafty.rc" in the directories given by the CRAFTY_RC_PATH environment variable, using the first location where it is found. If that variable is not set then Crafty tries to locate "crafty.rc" in the current working directory.

Supplying an RC file is optional.

Sven
bob

Post by bob »

lucasart wrote:
Roger Brown wrote:

Hello Lucas,

Later.
If you are using unix, a .craftyrc file with either "log off" or "log=off" will do the trick. For windows, you need to name the file "crafty.rc". And a third option is to use the command line argument "crafty log=off". If you are using xboard, for example, -fcp "./crafty log=off" will work.