New spanish chess engine.

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jvazgo
Full name: Juan Manuel Vázquez

New spanish chess engine.

Post by jvazgo »

Hello, this is my first post in this forum since many years.
I would like to announce the first public release of my modest chess engine Godel.
Godel is a Spanish engine written in C++, mainly under Linux.
The home page of Godel is https://sites.google.com/site/godelchessengine/
At the moment there is only a version available under Linux for 32 and 64 bits that works in xboard and Scid.

Sorry for my bad English.
Thank you.
Sevilla, Spain
stevemulligan

Re: New spanish chess engine.

Post by stevemulligan »

Congrats on your engine! I'm looking forward to trying it out.

I downloaded the opening book and placed it in the folder with the binary and I get this error:

Code: Select all

root@brain:~/Godel_2.0.3_x32_Linux# ./Godel
# Godel 2.0.3 under Xboard/Winboard.
# Copyright (C) Juan Manuel Vázquez (Spain)

# Hash = 128
# Pawn hash = 4
# Resign = 1
# Resign score = 600
# Resign moves = 3
# Ponder = 1
# Book file = book.dat
[b]Error opening file ![/b]

md5 sum and filesize that I have:

Code: Select all

root@brain:~/Godel_2.0.3_x32_Linux# md5sum book.dat
145cf961ca866ed88368013f30965f84  book.dat
root@brain:~/Godel_2.0.3_x32_Linux# ls -al book.dat
-rw-r--r-- 1 1001 1002 297330000 Nov 21 19:13 book.dat
root@brain:~/Godel_2.0.3_x32_Linux#
The book is pretty big, how many opening lines does it have? How deep does it go?
jvazgo

Post by jvazgo »

Thank you for trying my program.
Please, follow the instrucctions in the support page for Linux.

To run a quick game in xboard you must install xboard first and put this command in a terminal:

xboard -fcp "./Godel -xboard" -tc 5 -inc -1

You can enter in the console mode with the command:

./Godel -console

And try the "help" command to see the available commands, but this mode has a lot of bugs.
I only use it at the moment to make "perf" and "perft n". This mode is not documented in the web yet in the web site but will be available soon.

Yes, the book is too big, i'm working in a small version. It has more than five millions of positions.
The book is not based on the depth of moves, it's based o game results and the statistics of moves played by the masters. I know it has many bugs and i have to work hard on it.

In my modest opinion, you should not use the root user in Linux in a terminal in linux.

Many thanks again.
Don

Post by Don »

jvazgo wrote:Hello, this is my first post in this forum since many years.
I would like to announce the first public release of my modest chess engine Godel.
At the moment there is only a version available under Linux for 32 and 64 bits that works in xboard and Scid.

Thank you.
Sevilla, Spain
I don't see any directions on how to play Spanish chess on the web site.
stevemulligan

Post by stevemulligan »

jvazgo wrote: You can enter in the console mode with the command:

./Godel -console
Thx, that worked, I'll see if I can install xboard later today.
In my modest opinion, you should not use the root user in Linux in a terminal in linux.
Good advice for many, but don't assume you are secure by running as an unprivileged user. The only thing I'm worried about as root is myself. eg, If I type rm -rf . * (that extra space can ruin your day) I find that mistake happens LESS often if I'm not getting frustrated by having to sudo !! everything.

If I was paranoid about security I would run 3rd party code from a VM.
Ajedrecista

Post by Ajedrecista »

Hello Don:
Don wrote:

Thank you.
Sevilla, Spain
I suppose you are kidding. Juan Manuel is saying that the author (himself) is Spanish, but his engine should play standard chess, the same that play Vallejo, Shirov, Komodo and the rest of us (the chess variant that is played in Spain is the standard: AFAIK it does not exist Spanish chess). Another story is draughts, were Spain has its own variant, which is 'widely' extended in Spain, Portugal and South America (I do not know if Spanish draughts have some difference with Brazilian draughts). More info in draughts/checkers variants could be find here.

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
Don

Post by Don »

Ajedrecista wrote:Hello Don:
Don wrote:

Thank you.
Sevilla, Spain
I suppose you are kidding. Juan Manuel is saying that the author (himself) is Spanish, but his engine should play standard chess, the same that play Vallejo, Shirov, Komodo and the rest of us (the chess variant that is played in Spain is the standard: AFAIK it does not exist Spanish chess). Another story is draughts, were Spain has its own variant, which is 'widely' extended in Spain, Portugal and South America (I do not know if Spanish draughts have some difference with Brazilian draughts). More info in draughts/checkers variants could be find here.
I feel like an idiot. I have heard of Spanish checkers and just assumed this was another variant of chess.

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
Ajedrecista

Post by Ajedrecista »

Hi again!
Don wrote:
Don wrote:

Thank you.
Sevilla, Spain
I feel like an idiot. I have heard of Spanish checkers and just assumed this was another variant of chess.

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
Please do not feel like an idiot. I think an idiot can not bring to computer chess comunity an engine like Komodo (of course with the priceless help of Larry). I suppose that current development of Komodo 4 is pretty advanced... good luck!

I read in ImmortalChess Foum that Godel is around 2,500 Elo in words of Juan Manuel; I also read that the project (I found Copyright symbol somewhere) is from 1994 to 2011... but 2,500 Elo (do not know if in IPON, CCRL, ... I suppose CCRL or CEGT) is pretty strong. ¡Enhorabuena Juan Manuel!

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
Don

Post by Don »

Ajedrecista wrote:Hi again!
Don wrote:
Don wrote:

Thank you.
Sevilla, Spain

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
Please do not feel like an idiot. I think an idiot can not bring to computer chess comunity an engine like Komodo (of course with the priceless help of Larry). I suppose that current development of Komodo 4 is pretty advanced... good luck!

I read in ImmortalChess Foum that Godel is around 2,500 Elo in words of Juan Manuel; I also read that the project (I found Copyright symbol somewhere) is from 1994 to 2011... but 2,500 Elo (do not know if in IPON, CCRL, ... I suppose CCRL or CEGT) is pretty strong. ¡Enhorabuena Juan Manuel!

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
Yes, that is good ELO and it takes a lot of work to get to that rating. Keep up the good work and I hope to watch you climb even higher!

Don
jvazgo

Post by jvazgo »

The "ELO" was stimated doing home tournaments with other similar programs, so i can't really ensure this is correct. I will send the program to CCRL, CEGT and WBEC soon, but i must release a stable version for windows first.
Thank you very much.