Running chess engine via command window only

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

whittenizer

Running chess engine via command window only

Post by whittenizer »

Hi there,

I'm curious about why any uci compliant chess engine plays much weaker via the command window when one can simply type in commands like "position fen somefenstring" then "go", etc... than when run through an app like Arena, what have ya. Particularly, Stockfish since this is the one Im playing around with at the moment. I've looked at the UCI options, and it appears as though the default settings are already set for maximum peformance. I'm not sure why of the huge performance difference between using only the command window and a GUI. I mean Stockfish was giving up pieces and playing poorly using only the command window but when run through Arena, it's wicked strong.

THanks for any insight into this.
kinderchocolate
Full name: Ted Wong

Re: Running chess engine via command window only

Post by kinderchocolate »

whittenizer wrote:Hi there,

I'm curious about why any uci compliant chess engine plays much weaker via the command window when one can simply type in commands like "position fen somefenstring" then "go", etc... than when run through an app like Arena, what have ya. Particularly, Stockfish since this is the one Im playing around with at the moment. I've looked at the UCI options, and it appears as though the default settings are already set for maximum peformance. I'm not sure why of the huge performance difference between using only the command window and a GUI. I mean Stockfish was giving up pieces and playing poorly using only the command window but when run through Arena, it's wicked strong.

THanks for any insight into this.
Could that be Arena sends "position startpos ...." rather than "position fen ..."?
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

I'll bet you this is because Arena never makes any typos! :lol:
whittenizer

Post by whittenizer »

Not sure what this is supposed to mean.
whittenizer

Post by whittenizer »

Hum,

I'm not sure what goes on behind the scenes in GUI's. I'll look into the "position startpos..." and see what that does.

Thanks,
hgm

Post by hgm »

whittenizer wrote:Not sure what this is supposed to mean.
It means that UCI engines should play exactly the same moves from the command-line or under a GUI. If it makes stupid moves,it can only mean you feed it wrong input.
whittenizer

Post by whittenizer »

I think I may have not supplied enough information. I'm setting the fen as in:

"position fen somefentext" then "go". I just found out there's alot more things that can go with the "go" command. Ill play around with those and see what I get.

Thanks for your input.
hgm

Post by hgm »

Indeed, you are supposed to tell how long the engine must think (wtime, btime). If you don't, it might very well think zero msec, and play after a 1-ply search.
Desperado

Post by Desperado »

whittenizer wrote:I think I may have not supplied enough information. I'm setting the fen as in:

"position fen somefentext" then "go". I just found out there's alot more things that can go with the "go" command. Ill play around with those and see what I get.

Thanks for your input.
here

uci specification

you can read about the commands too ...

Michael
whittenizer

Post by whittenizer »

I can see that now. I'll play around with this a bit more. Thanks alot for your input.