GPUs better for chess than CPUs?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

parrish

GPUs better for chess than CPUs?

Post by parrish »

If GPUs are so much better at parallel processing tasks, such as cracking passwords, than CPUs, would they be better for Chess as well?

https://mytechencounters.wordpress.com/ ... phic-card/
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: GPUs better for chess than CPUs?

Post by hgm »

Because Chess algorithms are by nature serial rather than parallel.
parrish

Post by parrish »

hgm wrote:Because Chess algorithms are by nature serial rather than parallel.
A search tree is, by it's nature, parallel, and not serial.
muxecoid

Post by muxecoid »

parrish wrote:
hgm wrote:Because Chess algorithms are by nature serial rather than parallel.
A search tree is, by it's nature, parallel, and not serial.
Not really. To know what branches of the tree are not even worth considering you must calculate other branches first.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

parrish wrote:A search tree is, by it's nature, parallel, and not serial.
Not if you want to employ alpha-beta pruning. If you would search all branches from a certain node in parallel, and one of them would give you a beta cutoff, you can no longer prune all the other branches. Because you had already searched them in parallel. Which was a complete waste of time. So naively parallelizing the tree search will waste about 99.999999% of the CPU power. You will need an awful lot of parallelism to make up for that...

As to GPUs: I am not really an expert on them, but I thought GPUs were not so much parallel processors, but rathere (SIMD) array processors. Or am I completely wrong on that?
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Post by Sven »

hgm wrote:
parrish wrote:A search tree is, by it's nature, parallel, and not serial.
Not if you want to employ alpha-beta pruning. If you would search all branches from a certain node in parallel, and one of them would give you a beta cutoff, you can no longer prune all the other branches. Because you had already searched them in parallel. Which was a complete waste of time. So naively parallelizing the tree search will waste about 99.999999% of the CPU power. You will need an awful lot of parallelism to make up for that...

As to GPUs: I am not really an expert on them, but I thought GPUs were not so much parallel processors, but rathere (SIMD) array processors. Or am I completely wrong on that?
GPUs can execute a high number of parallel threads, e.g. 512 in case of NVIDIA GeForce 8800 (16 Streaming Multiprocessors x 32 threads each). Maybe chess programming could make use of that somehow. I could imagine that it could be attractive to calculate all subtrees of an ALL node in parallel, for instance. By "all subtrees" I possibly mean "all but the first", since I think we need at least the result of the first subtree to decide what is most likely the type of a node we have predicted as an ALL node. Now if we consume, say, 40 threads at an ALL node we might still have enough threads (about 470) available for other tasks, so we can do the same thing a couple of times in different sections of the tree.

The search along the PV could remain the task of only few threads, as it is now. But the hard task of digging through all the garbage (e.g. ALL nodes) where failing low is most likely could be assigned to a large group of slave threads who would finish their work "almost instantly".

Dreaming, of course ... A lot of open issues, I know ... But without dreaming it is possible that there will be no progress ;-)

Sven
rbarreira

Post by rbarreira »

You have to find a way to do alpha-beta search efficiently with lots of threads.

You have to shoehorn move generation / move making / evaluation into GPU code (it's not even close to a natural programming paradigm for those things... for one thing, branching and recursion aren't present).

A pipe dream basically.
marcelk

Post by marcelk »

rbarreira wrote:You have to find a way to do alpha-beta search efficiently with lots of threads.

You have to shoehorn move generation / move making / evaluation into GPU code (it's not even close to a natural programming paradigm for those things... for one thing, branching and recursion aren't present).

A pipe dream basically.
My prediction is that someone new to computer chess who doesn't
yet know it is extremely hard will find a method anyway, and after
that everyone else will copy and beat him.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

There are some difficulties with GPUs and chess.
1. GPUs do not handle recursion
2. Transfer of data from the PC memory to the GPU memory is expensive.

There are some efforts to get the GPU approach to work. So far, they have not been very successful.
rbarreira

Post by rbarreira »

marcelk wrote:
rbarreira wrote:You have to find a way to do alpha-beta search efficiently with lots of threads.

A pipe dream basically.
My prediction is that someone new to computer chess who doesn't
yet know it is extremely hard will find a method anyway, and after
that everyone else will copy and beat him.
Why would that happen with computer chess specifically? Or do you mean that you think GPUs are universally good for all problems?

It could happen, but the odds are against it because no one thinks that GPUs are good for general problem solving. GPUs are good at applying a small set of simple operations to a large number of independent data units. That doesn't describe a tree search in any way...