vc++ pgo help needed

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

BubbaTough

vc++ pgo help needed

Post by BubbaTough »

Hi,

I am trying to play with with profile guided optimization (using vc 2010 premium) and it seems to work great for 32 bit, but does not work for me in 64 bit. I get a pgort100.DLL not found message if I try to run the program normally (even when I stick that file in the directory with my compiled application) and if I try running it through the GUI I get a crash. Any suggestions?

-Sam
CThinker

Re: vc++ pgo help needed

Post by CThinker »

I'm simply copy the DLL to the same folder as my application binary is, and that works for me.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\bin\amd64\pgort100.dll

Just make sure that you get the DLL from the VC\bin\amd64 folder and not from the VC\bin folder.
BubbaTough

Post by BubbaTough »

CThinker wrote:I'm simply copy the DLL to the same folder as my application binary is, and that works for me.

Just make sure that you get the DLL from the VC\bin\amd64 folder and not from the VC\bin folder.
Aha, I was getting the DLL from the wrong folder, which explains why x32 was not complaining but x64 was. Thanks! I still have a crashing problem with the instrumented x64 version though, that does not exist in the instrumented x32 version. Does this imply a bug that never shows its head in my testing or in the instrumented x32 version, or is there some behind-the-scenes instrumentation setting that needs to be changed?

-Sam
BubbaTough

Post by BubbaTough »

It was indeed a subtle and odd bug, and everything now seems to work. Thanks for your help!

-Sam
BubbaTough wrote:
CThinker wrote:I'm simply copy the DLL to the same folder as my application binary is, and that works for me.

Aha, I was getting the DLL from the wrong folder, which explains why x32 was not complaining but x64 was. Thanks! I still have a crashing problem with the instrumented x64 version though, that does not exist in the instrumented x32 version. Does this imply a bug that never shows its head in my testing or in the instrumented x32 version, or is there some behind-the-scenes instrumentation setting that needs to be changed?

-Sam
Denis P. Mendoza

Post by Denis P. Mendoza »

This is really a bug by MSVC even before, especially if you have installed different versions side by side in your Program Files Folder.

I remember me and Pedro Castro had that same problem before.

The best solution was always putting the 'dll' in your working folders.

I found a workaround solution a few years back but forgot about it. It requires tweaking manually the environmental variables. I'll post it here when I find it again.