C# Port of Stockfish

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

whittenizer

C# Port of Stockfish

Post by whittenizer »

Hi there,

I'm working on a WPF chess application, and wanted to undertake porting over the current code base for Stockfish to C#. I already know this will be quite an undertaking but I'd like to go through with it. Are there any legal considerations I should know about before starting out? I will carry over all comments to the C# code that the C++ code has already.

There will be totally new code I will have to write as there probably wont be conversions for some of the code but I will still comment that the ideas in the new code came from Stockfish, something like that.

Thanks for any input.
Dann Corbit

Re: C# Port of Stockfish

Post by Dann Corbit »

whittenizer wrote:Hi there,

I'm working on a WPF chess application, and wanted to undertake porting over the current code base for Stockfish to C#. I already know this will be quite an undertaking but I'd like to go through with it. Are there any legal considerations I should know about before starting out? I will carry over all comments to the C# code that the C++ code has already.

There will be totally new code I will have to write as there probably wont be conversions for some of the code but I will still comment that the ideas in the new code came from Stockfish, something like that.

Thanks for any input.
Stockfish is GPL.
So if you make the new engine GPL and mention that it is based upon Stockfish, I can't imagine any negative repercussions.
whittenizer

Re: C# Port of Stockfish

Post by whittenizer »

Sounds good.