dynamically modified evaluation function

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Gerd Isenberg

Re: dynamically modified evaluation function

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Daniel Shawul wrote: ...
Credit has been given to anyone who came up with any of the combinations it seems.
It sometimes bogles my mind of the difference between doing reductions at fail high or fail low nodes.
It seems there is only a "make move" between them. If you don't decide to prune at a fail high node and make
a move, at the next ply you get fail low nodes. So where do you do it? It seems some of them sure overlap ..
Indeed, there are some redundancies and various combinations overlap and seem almost mutually exclusive like nmp and fhr. What about Nmp and multiCut? Both heavily intersect, but still have disjoint areas, i.e. if nmp fails to cut on nullmove, one can still get reductions from multiCut at the same node. We have to deal with issues similar to extending checks or check evasions or both (i.e. with fractional extensions), and what information we have before and after making the move to decide about reductions and pruning near the tips, lazy eval versus/plus futility pruning etc.. One has to consider checks, which some programs only determine after making the move.

There are even weak and strong expected All- and Cut-nodes, if we consider minimal tree node types, ply-distance to the closest PV-node up to the path in root direction, and static (lazy) evaluation even in interior nodes compared to alpha and beta. I use (more futile) pre-make conditions inside the moveloop as well as post-make conditions before the moveloop, to reduce late considering number of moves made by the parent.

Gerd
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Daniel Shawul wrote:From your summary, I understand that they used

- static properties of moves (is it check,passed pawn push etc...). This is shared
pretty much by all the pruning/reduction methods I mentioned in the other post. These moves are candidates
for extension not reduction or pruning.

- they sorted the moves and reduced differently depending on the location in the move list. This I guess
deserves them late move reduction (LMR)

- Lack of history data for reduction decisons means they don't own history reductions. It doesn't matter it
is not working good now. They also said their method of LMR did not work for them at the time they tried
it but we still gave them credit to it. It works well now. Same story for history reductions too.
Most of us belive they don't work that well for reductions now, some still do. If one day someone comes up
with a better way of collecting history like for example multiple history tables at different depths, then
the credit should still go to those who first use history for reduction purposes. Don't you agree ?

About Tord's post, I guess he felt that since history was not working that well and it was a reduction not pruning, it is better to change the name.
I do not want to speak for someone else so I think it is better to ask him.
Should we consider LMR,LMP,HR,HP variants or not ? If we have to be pedantic and stick to normal trend, then yes.

In general I think history reductions (HR) should be considered different from late move reductions (LMR) to avoid
these confusions. I would really like your opinion on my other post which listed different pruning methods which were
credited to different people.

thanks
Daniel
I think in computer chess a lot of different things were re-invented and tried by various people. If you have an "new" idea by your own, it is likely somebody else had this idea before, but of course there is the matter of implementation nuances and who things interact. It is often difficult to credit the one who first published something in a paper or forum post. You'll never know exactly what commercial programs do, since their programmers rarely publish concrete information. That is remarkable on Levy's et al. 1989 paper, a contribution from commercial programmers.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

I think in computer chess a lot of different things were re-invented and tried by various people. If you have an "new" idea by your own, it is likely somebody else had this idea before, but of course there is the matter of implementation nuances and who things interact. It is often difficult to credit the one who first published something in a paper or forum post.
I agree with you that it is difficult. Re-inventions are usually mentioned in literature when they initiate the popularity
of the existing algorithm with some modifications. The case we have at hand b/n Levy's LMR & original HP has
signifcant differnces IMO: use of history data, absence or "weak use of" the lateness of move property in the
original HP implementation makes it a different algorithm or atleast deserves it a re-invention status because
Levy's LMR was not working in the past. Shannon type B
You'll never know exactly what commercial programs do, since their programmers rarely publish concrete information. That is remarkable on Levy's et al. 1989 paper, a contribution from commercial programmers.
That is too bad they don't publish often but we should also not assume there is too much new ideas
in their programs. In other physical sciences I know of, usually the software developers for simulation
rely too much on basic research done elsewhere. Good programers do the programming better than anyone else.
This is for regarding both capturing the physics of the problem and invention of algorithms for simulation.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Multi-cut is indeed a major over-sight from my side.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Daniel
Don

Post by Don »

Daniel Shawul wrote:
I think in computer chess a lot of different things were re-invented and tried by various people. If you have an "new" idea by your own, it is likely somebody else had this idea before, but of course there is the matter of implementation nuances and who things interact. It is often difficult to credit the one who first published something in a paper or forum post.
In Rexchess we "invented" pruning based on beta, similar to null move pruning but we obtained a bound by looking to see what was directly attacked. We never told anyone about this. We did 2 or 3 ply of this at the end and it was our secret weapon. However, I think others may have already done something similar and I think null move pruning was being discovered about this time although it was not generally known about and we did not know about it then.

There is a bunch of ideas that are common knowledge or have been done for years but nobody believes in them or takes them seriously until it shows up in a really strong program.

I agree with you that it is difficult. Re-inventions are usually mentioned in literature when they initiate the popularity
of the existing algorithm with some modifications. The case we have at hand b/n Levy's LMR & original HP has
signifcant differnces IMO: use of history data, absence or "weak use of" the lateness of move property in the
original HP implementation makes it a different algorithm or atleast deserves it a re-invention status because
You'll never know exactly what commercial programs do, since their programmers rarely publish concrete information. That is remarkable on Levy's et al. 1989 paper, a contribution from commercial programmers.
That is too bad they don't publish often but we should also not assume there is too much new ideas
in their programs. In other physical sciences I know of, usually the software developers for simulation
rely too much on basic research done elsewhere. Good programers do the programming better than anyone else.
This is for regarding both capturing the physics of the problem and invention of algorithms for simulation.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Don wrote:
Daniel Shawul wrote:
In Rexchess we "invented" pruning based on beta, similar to null move pruning but we obtained a bound by looking to see what was directly attacked. We never told anyone about this. We did 2 or 3 ply of this at the end and it was our secret weapon. However, I think others may have already done something similar and I think null move pruning was being discovered about this time although it was not generally known about and we did not know about it then.

There is a bunch of ideas that are common knowledge or have been done for years but nobody believes in them or takes them seriously until it shows up in a really strong program.

I believe that means you used SEE to look for threats at a possible fail high node.
This is stronger than using eval() alone like FHR does, but weaker than using qsearch or
reduced depth search like null move does. There are many variations of the prunings/reductions
possible by making combinations of the list I made in my other post.

This is also a variation of the null move observation (NMO) like most of the pruning done
at fail high nodes are. Fail high reductions, standard null move and stand pat in qsearch all use NMO.
I think (but am not sure) nobody understood this until null move pruning made it embarasingly obvious
by doing a null move literally.

Daniel
Don

Post by Don »

Daniel Shawul wrote:
Don wrote:
Daniel Shawul wrote:

I believe that means you used SEE to look for threats at a possible fail high node.
No, we did not use SEE because it is not global. We looked for ALL threats and we did not do a detailed analysis other than a superficial check - a rook attacking a defended pawn was not considered a threat but we only covered a few superficial cases that were fast and cheap. What we were interested in knowing is if ANY piece might be profitably attacked and what the pieces was. We did not try to analyze the exact swap off value of the attacked piece because that is unreliable anyway. I think we took 5/8 of the value of that attacked piece since there is almost always a way to recover SOME of your material. For example if a queen is attacked by a bishop, it's very likely the queen will go down kicking and screaming and get something in return (certainly it will get the bishop attacking it.)

This is stronger than using eval() alone like FHR does, but weaker than using qsearch or
reduced depth search like null move does.
We have found that this is superior to null move if it's limited to the last 2 ply of the search. On 3 and above, null move is superior. The routine in komodo does see() but on every piece that might be attacked. It's like a real cheap null move and superior to just using big margins.

There are many variations of the prunings/reductions

This is also a variation of the null move observation (NMO) like most of the pruning done
at fail high nodes are. Fail high reductions, standard null move and stand pat in qsearch all use NMO.
I think (but am not sure) nobody understood this until null move pruning made it embarasingly obvious

Daniel
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Don wrote:
Daniel Shawul wrote:
Don wrote:
Daniel Shawul wrote:

No, we did not use SEE because it is not global. We looked for ALL threats and we did not do a detailed analysis other than a superficial check - a rook attacking a defended pawn was not considered a threat but we only covered a few superficial cases that were fast and cheap. What we were interested in knowing is if ANY piece might be profitably attacked and what the pieces was. We did not try to analyze the exact swap off value of the attacked piece because that is unreliable anyway. I think we took 5/8 of the value of that attacked piece since there is almost always a way to recover SOME of your material. For example if a queen is attacked by a bishop, it's very likely the queen will go down kicking and screaming and get something in return (certainly it will get the bishop attacking it.)

We have found that this is superior to null move if it's limited to the last 2 ply of the search. On 3 and above, null move is superior. The routine in komodo does see() but on every piece that might be attacked. It's like a real cheap null move and superior to just using big margins.

Daniel

That is also what I had in mind, global board swap. I tried it also about 7 years ago when
I had attack tables computed in eval, as described in Ed schroeder's page. Using that ,SEE
can be pre-computed and used cheaply in a lot of places. So I used : if eval() minus a factored value of our highest enprized piece is
greater than beta last 2 plies ,then prune. It worked back then.

2nd option:
I rember also galaurng used to do global board swap not in eval for that purpose. It seems expensive to do that though if used only last 2 plies.
I had it as a side effect of using attack tables but an associated cost of slower eval.

3rd option:
I also tried to be inventive and use standard null move last 2 plies but with _lazy eval_ only. This is like doing
a safer board swap as material only was considered in eval. I thought that since my eval was bulky, it is would be a good compromize to use ligher weight eval last two plies and
be safer by using null move. The result from null move last two plies was not stored in tt to avoid that.
This worked for me while I had a bulky eval. Now I do full eval there too when I removed those bulky attack tables.

Edit : Were you also aware of the Null move observation (NMO) at that time ? I can't seem to find enough information about it.

Daniel
Don

Post by Don »

Daniel Shawul wrote:
Don wrote:
Daniel Shawul wrote:
Don wrote:
Daniel Shawul wrote:

Daniel

That is also what I had in mind, global board swap. I tried it also about 7 years ago when
I had attack tables computed in eval, as described in Ed schroeder's page. Using that ,SEE
can be pre-computed and used cheaply in a lot of places. So I used : if eval() minus a factored value of our highest enprized piece is
greater than beta last 2 plies ,then prune. It worked back then.

2nd option:
I rember also galaurng used to do global board swap not in eval for that purpose. It seems expensive to do that though if used only last 2 plies.
I had it as a side effect of using attack tables but an associated cost of slower eval.

3rd option:
I also tried to be inventive and use standard null move last 2 plies but with _lazy eval_ only. This is like doing
a safer board swap as material only was considered in eval. I thought that since my eval was bulky, it is would be a good compromize to use ligher weight eval last two plies and
be safer by using null move. The result from null move last two plies was not stored in tt to avoid that.
This worked for me while I had a bulky eval. Now I do full eval there too when I removed those bulky attack tables.

Edit : Were you also aware of the Null move observation (NMO) at that time. I can't seem to find enough information about it.

Daniel
We had never heard of the null move observation. In those days you were on your own to discover stuff and almost every program was either commercial or academic.