New Time Controls for WB

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Michel

Re: New Time Controls for WB

Post by Michel »

I am not sure such a thing should go into the specs.
Well it certainly avoids the engine author having to worry about what the engine should do with time management after a playother command (the situation is similar as with undo)...
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

It probably should go into the specs of the playother and go commands, that these in no way should change the engines idea of time on its own and opponent clock, or the number of moves to make in that time.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Michel wrote:
About the black-moves-first problem:

Are you sure about XBoard behavior
If I understand correctly this is what you said here:

http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewt ... el#p191825
Ah, OK, I see what the problem is, now. I was thinking of the black engine, but the problem is with the engine playing white. It receives a FEN substituting to a move.

I guess we best specify it that a btm FEN with move count 1 counts as a single move.
Michel

Post by Michel »

It probably should go into the specs of the playother and go commands, that these in no way should change the engines idea of time on its own and opponent clock, or the number of moves to make in that time.
Is a correct translation of this that the level command stays with the engine even if it switches sides? It should simple keep counting moves (which may now be by black and white) until its mps is used up?